BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2016
Vehicle: 2003 c230 Kompressor 1.8L
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down How to remove thick plastic headlight covers

Hello everyone . Just bought a used 2003 c230 Kompressor and the vehicle is in great shape. My main concern is removing the headlamp covers. They are extremely thick and starting to burn. I can chip off a few pieces of the cover here and there, but for the most part they are held on by some sort of adhesive that had to be designed by the devil himself. I really hope to remove these as it really makes the car look like crap. She has the potential to be a really beautiful Benz. I I have a few small rust spots and an area where the clear coat is coming off. I have Brabus Aerokit that really stands out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 09:04 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 1997 E300D
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Why don't you sand the yellow off them and polish them up. They should look like new if you do it right. There are many headlight polishing kits sold, with some that use the power of a drill to make the sanding easy. If you are dead set on removing the cover, buy the replacement first. That should give clues as to how it comes off.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 10:30 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The material is actually a coating and as Nelbur said it needs to be sanded off. The 3M or newest Mothers kit work very well. Then wax them at the same tome you wax the car to prevent UV damage in the future. I actually used SEM UV 45 spray clear coat on all of our MBs after the lenses were polished up.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Great Ideas

Great recommendations everyone, however I think that I am beyond recovering these covers at this point. I've already started to remove them. All the corners are brittle and just flaked off. I would provide a picture, but my wife has the car at the moment. My biggest concern is the deeply burnt areas of the covers. I'm hoping that the actual lens is not burnt. The area where the cover is burnt is black in the center with brown radiating from the center of the burn. VERY ugly. After I get them off I will clean them up with a quality restore kit. I know this car is old, but it is truly in amazing shape and looks really good with the dark tint and body kit.
I was told by the previous owner (my best bud, sold it to me for a dollar) to try using ammonia and a hairdryer or heat gun to soften the adhesive. I was looking at how to remove 3M covers, but they seem to be an entirely different product. Just want these damn things off, badly. Any help, or other suggestions folks? You guys have been so helpful thus far. Great community we have here!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 11:35 AM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Are we talking about the aftermarket adhesive protective film?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I'm not entirely sure. It is quite possible that is from the factory,considering how thick this crap is. I mean it is THICK. Pieces of it are flaking of around the sides, but the center is adhered on with some kind of advanced alien technology. Those crazy Germans and their fancy glue. LOL :-/
This stuff is driving me crazy. I'll take some pictures when the wife gets home with the car. I wish I could find a way to get it off without damaging the head lamps themselves. Thanks for the reply's, Its very refreshing how many of you folks are will to take the time to give me advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in