BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1995 S-420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Want to be a Mercedes owner again. Need some advice

Hi all,

I used to own a 89 190E 2.6 when I was in the US about 11 years ago. I sold that one before moving to canada and got a 2001 C240. I sold that one also after keeping it for about 4 years and then went a completely different route. Now I want to get back into owning a Merc again. I want it as a summer weekend car and not a DD. I initially started looking into 190E's as I owned one before ,but am unable to find one in a fairly good condition. I guess its very hard to find one in reasonable condition as the last model was manufactured 23 years ago.

So I decided to look into E320 since it was one of my favorite benz back then and still is. But it seems like their market value is higher than other models and a few of them available here in Canada are out of my range. Than my brother told me about 95 or 96 S class and spoke really highly of it. According to him its one of the best benz ever built and are not very expensive either. I have looked up a few online near my area and want to go look at them in person this coming weekend. at the same time, I am a little scared also to get something that turns out to be a total money pit.

I am just wondering if 1stly there are any for sale on this site in Canada as the cars sold here are mostly owned by enthusiasts and are in better condition. Secondly i'll appreciate any input/suggestions from other members about the S class in terms of experience of owning one and its problems.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Last edited by azatrum; 10-05-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 10:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
W140 is one of the last MB before it went totally digital.
That has good and bad sides.
Good- steel coils don't have high maintenance cost, but don't deliver the comfort Airmatic does. Such comparisons will be endless and when 320 engines are reliable, the car is heavy and feels underpower (for a Mercedes)
They are still available in California.
Just missed one for $300 yesterday by 1 hr. It needed new headgasket, but clean car.
You will not have easy choice, so go to comparable sections and read, read, read.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
W140 is one of the last MB before it went totally digital.
That has good and bad sides.
Good- steel coils don't have high maintenance cost, but don't deliver the comfort Airmatic does. Such comparisons will be endless and when 320 engines are reliable, the car is heavy and feels underpower (for a Mercedes)
They are still available in California.
Just missed one for $300 yesterday by 1 hr. It needed new headgasket, but clean car.
You will not have easy choice, so go to comparable sections and read, read, read.
Thanks for the reply Kajtek1 and all the info. Wao, the one u missed was $300. It sure was a steal. I guess I'll have a better idea about the car and probably have more questions once I test drive one for the 1st time.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 07:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1972 220 D, 1974 450SL, 1995 E300D 2002 S430, 1976 300D
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
My son runs an early W140. That is a sweet car! Biggest, most comfortable, gas guzzling beast I have ever driven. If you are serious about getting one, look into the S320 from 1999. The engine will have enough power to keep it moving along swiftly, and all the teething issues will have been taken care of, so, far fewer troubles than older examples.

If you are seriously looking, check the Vancouver or Seattle Craiglistings. No salted roads, less probability of rust, and pricing is reasonable.

1999 MERCEDES BENZ S320 LWB BLACK/BLACK

1996 Mercedes-Benz S420

If you want just a fun goof around car, why not look at the R107 SL? Pricing is all over the place, and you can pick up a viable example for under $7k. I know of one that I could drive out to Toronto for you.

Clay

74 450SL - Froggy
'02 s320 - Victor
'76 300D - Voldemort
'95 E300D - Cleo
'72 220D - Gump
'87 300SDL - POS SDL

92 300SE - #1 boys ride
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi all. Ok so went and test drove a few W140s. Two S320s, 1 S500 and a S420. Honestly the 320s seemed a little under powered. S500 was good but the condition wasn't. The best car overall was the 420. I loved the ride quality. S class probably has the best comfort level among all MB models. I was blown away. So I decided to pull the trigger and ended up purchasing the 420. I'll post all the details in the new owner section and have a lot of technical questions because the car has some minor issues. Thank you all.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redghost View Post
My son runs an early W140. That is a sweet car! Biggest, most comfortable, gas guzzling beast I have ever driven. If you are serious about getting one, look into the S320 from 1999. The engine will have enough power to keep it moving along swiftly, and all the teething issues will have been taken care of, so, far fewer troubles than older examples.

If you are seriously looking, check the Vancouver or Seattle Craiglistings. No salted roads, less probability of rust, and pricing is reasonable.

1999 MERCEDES BENZ S320 LWB BLACK/BLACK

1996 Mercedes-Benz S420

If you want just a fun goof around car, why not look at the R107 SL? Pricing is all over the place, and you can pick up a viable example for under $7k. I know of one that I could drive out to Toronto for you.
Thanks for the information redghost. I wish you had replied earlier. The 420 you sent the link for looked nice. Good deal too. Re-build title though. anyways its too late and I have made my purchase.

Last edited by azatrum; 10-13-2016 at 07:41 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 05:10 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2016
Vehicle: 83 300sd 99 s320 member since 2009
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
If you can buy a used w124 and turn it into your custom vehicle,they are a good build.I have a w140 with new motor,but would love to have a w124,with large engine,or turbo charged M104.They are the right size for parking easy.There are lots of high performance parts for them.The newer models I don't like as I don't like aluminum block engines,nor V6's as they are not balanced. I don't like all the electrical gizmo's on the new cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in