LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Which Benz to pick?

I'm having a hard time deciding between C43, E300,or wait for the GLE update and get the GLE43 "coupe".

I feel C43 is a really nice intro level AMG and is very fair for the price. I'm mostly just going to drive around town so C63 is rather overkill.

The new E class interior is absolutely excellent! I have to say it is by far my favorite interior design by mercedes so far. E300 however, is the only available E class sedan in Canada and I find it rather lacking performance wise with a 4 cylinder and only 204 hp. Moreover, I feel the price for a decked out E300 is on the higher side for the engine in the car.

As for the GLE43 I feel like it's the biggest and most comfortable to drive, however the current ML interior is absolutely horrible. I believe an interior update is planned for the GLE soon so I'm deciding if I should wait on that

I'm not a huge performance guy but some performance is nice.

What do everyone here recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 04:59 AM
DrX
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2003 A160
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Depends on a lot of factors, none of which you have mentioned. Your age, income, life stage, relationship status, family size, occupation, hobbies, height and weight should all be considered.

For example, if your kids are all grown up and you've just settled your divorce, a C43 AMG or SLC-Class would be perfect. If you're engaged and like skiing, the GLE can access the slopes and has room for when you have kids. If you want to carry bikes, a GLS has a bigger trunk.

Last edited by DrX; 10-02-2016 at 05:01 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 07:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: toys: 92 400e,92 300CE & 93 400SEL with daily driver:12 Civic, Workhorse: 15 F150 & Porsche 944
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to oefvetw124lover Send a message via Yahoo to oefvetw124lover
If you are getting a newer one, make sure its CPO !
too many electronics go bad after 5 years.
my personal preference is the E300
Nate D. Rector likes this.

Carl

Veteran
Albany, NY, USA

92 300ce and others
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night
because rough men stand ready
to do violence on their behalf."

Si vis pacem, para bellum
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 09:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
The list is very unspecific as E300 can be lot of cars, but I could never fit my 5-9" frame into C class.
Sure nice and cheap car if the size is good for you.
Than I am diesel-biased and 45 mpg E250 bluetec or GLK bluetec would be on top of my list.
In some countries C are available with diesels as well and I think they should be close to 60 mpg cars, while still making 0-60 in about 6 seconds.
Nate D. Rector likes this.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 10-02-2016 at 09:16 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 02:43 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2016
Vehicle: 2011 C300 Sport, 2015 C350 Coupe
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I have a 15 C350 coupe and it was in for service twice in the last month. Reason for that intro was that the first time I got a new 16 C300 4 matic sedan. Not a bad car, I liked my interior more as I hate, maybe loathe the screen on the new cars. Engine had plenty of power but in sport + ( I can't drive in a car that shuts off constantly and sport + doesn;t allow for that to happen) the transmission was horrific. I am talking in automatic mode. Just clunky and gappy between shifts when driven a little more aggressively. Like damn near a second between shifts where you get pushed into the seat when you hit the gas and between gears you suddenly lose power for a second before the shift moving your body forward. NO BUENO. I drove the car for a week and was glad to be rid of it.
Last week they gave me an E300 4 Matic. Absolutely amazing interior, Just really, really well done. Best in class by a mile. But then you drive it and that poor 4 banger with 204 HP just absolutely cannot push the weight of that car around in anything remotely considered sporty driving. I mean fall flat on your face embarrasing performance. If I was maybe another 15 years older (I'm 47) I think that car would be perfect. Super quiet with the double wall glass. May have mentioned it but stunning interior (love the color changing lights in the cabin.
I don't need the little wagon thing and it's not my style so I will not comment. My feeling is that if you enjoy the occasional foray into higher rpm's while driving stay away from the 300 series cars. If you like the smaller car go C43. Maybe the new 9 Speed G Tronic trans in that car is better than the one on the C300. Larger car go E450 if you can swing it. Personally I would do the C43 AMG Coupe. That is a great looking car.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 03:00 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Agree with you guys. Love the new E but for that price I'd rather have six cylinders.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 04:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: ' 91 350sdl, '12 s350, '15 144 sprinter, '08 sl550
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
i ve been getting c300 's as loaners, very basic car, not many options, but a favorite over the last generation E class.

haven't had a new E class yet, but agree with 4 cylinder comments. lot of car to be moving around not with a v6.

what i understand is the E will not see a v6 till next year sometime. i m guessing CAFE regs are the reasons.

'90 560sel , anyone interested ?
'91 350sdl new mb motor
'08 sl550, mars red, p1, sport package, pano roof
'12 s350, palladium silver, p2, pano roof, sports package, upgraded leather.
'15 144 sprinter
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 07:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaschold View Post

what i understand is the E will not see a v6 till next year sometime. i m guessing CAFE regs are the reasons.
I guess you are referring to the I6 M256? August 2017 in Europe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in