post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Sep 2016
Vehicle: w108 250SE 1965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Hitler IA-103708 mistery

In France, at the Museum Henri Malartre Rochetaillée sur Saône, a Mercedes 770k Offener Tourenwagen is exposed

This car was captured by the French army (2nd DB of General Leclerc) in May 1945 to Berstechgaden. This car is expected to be one of Mercedes used by the Führer.

It carries the serial number IA-103708

However, a detail caught my eye: 770k this has never been photographed at the time it was used by Hitler. Even the museum, photos with a Mercedes bearing the same registration number (Berlin) is not the same model

Another detail, the license plate of the car of Rochetaillée, even if the number is the same, does not seem conducted according to the standards of the time. On the one hand, it lacks the small v between the IA and numbers.

A picture exists Image on which one can see the car with a double blade bumper. But this model was the one bumper mounted on the W07 until 1938 and not that of the W150 single blade and rubber edge mounted from 1938.

Now the museum states that this car is a 1942 model.

i suppose it's a 1938 modified in 1942 (Aktion P plan after Heydrich assassination)

On the model of the museum, the plate is fixed under the bumper, while the 770k, this plate is installed on a support located above the bumper.
When he traveled around his Bavarian residence, Hitler used a 770k registered IIB-215190, consistent registration as corresponding to the Upper Bavaria (Munich); Why in these circumstances, use a car registered in Berlin

If I do not ask myself questions about the reality of making this car the French army, I ask myself however questions the authenticity of the registration.
Someone there any ideas on this?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 03:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
I can only guess Noodles did not respond to this yet, because he is busy making up historic section on the forum?
Growing up in Poland, I was feed with WWII history, what was mainly communistic propaganda.
Took decades to find out the propaganda exist everywhere and not likely French are immune to it.
When I understand historian might want to investigate such things, this is technical forum and frankly why should I care?

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 07:14 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 2001 ML320 2004 ML500 2011 E350 2015 ML350 2002 CL55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
I don't think the first picture, the colored one, is the same car as the black and white ones. Too many differences in details.....

In any case that is a beautiful car.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: