LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 11:17 AM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
I can make the same argument about older cars. Rubber pieces deteriorate, it's hard to find pieces because they may be EOL or no longer in production, may be expensive to source parts, paint is going bad, needs major attention to everything, ie. suspension, bearings, etc. Just restoring a W123/W126/W124 to original condition (I'm not talking "Acceptable" or "semi-running condition") costs in ten of thousand of dollars.

Newer cars have sensors and intelligent computers that tell you exactly what is the problem, and yes electronics can be expensive -- but then again, that's called the Mercedes tax. It's great for people like me because I can fix the electronics and keep them on the road indefinitely.

Not so good for the average consumer, yes. You know the old adage....nothing like a cheap Mercedes.

I guess this shows my age -- I'm infinitely more comfortable with fuel injection vehicles. Carbs make me go "waaah?"

--1998 MB E300TD 285k
--2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L 212k and holding (damn gas guzzler)
--2011 Suzuki DL650 44k
--1997 MB E320 161k. SOLD...loved that stupid car.
--1998 MB ML320 207k. SOLD, thank heavens!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 04:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Than there is reasons why our 8 yo Mercedes is having 27 yo plastic holders in it.
When 27yo MB plastics are still flexible and shiny, the 8yo chalk in your fingers.
Could be global economy, could be going for really cheap suppliers.
Now how 5 injections for 1 ignition cycle suits you D ?

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
4 injections per cycle....something new I learn everyday. I knew it was a concept, but seeing the consequences of deactivation of certain injection cycles live shows me why.

Too bad having injectors with such fine control means $$$ if you mess something up.

I have yet to read up about GDI vehicles, but I'm reasonably sure they use the same principle.

--1998 MB E300TD 285k
--2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L 212k and holding (damn gas guzzler)
--2011 Suzuki DL650 44k
--1997 MB E320 161k. SOLD...loved that stupid car.
--1998 MB ML320 207k. SOLD, thank heavens!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 09:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1972 220 D, 1974 450SL, 1995 E300D 2002 S430, 1976 300D, 1986 SDL, 1982 SD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
There is a little bit of the MB tax in having all the wonderful bells and whistles. The real issue is that the "innovation" that was in the benz is now in all the cars, and each has its own software and electronics. I am not talking radios, but the whole computer systems. The way these things evolve, who is using the same software in the cars ten years on? TESLA updates their cars magically, but we have to get the dealer to read and screw with our outmoded software in 15 year old cars. The indy with a shop does not have access to the mega tech that would allow them to tell sensors to ignore codes, or to reprogram the system to actually work right. And now the Korean cars have all the same gee gaws that could be found in our older Mercedes.

My w220 is a rolling turd that lies to me about exactly what is going on. It thinks my indicator lights are non functional, but they work fine. The initial response if fine, but after 15 blinks, it decides that they are all bad. Or the leveling system can not figure out how to make the airmatic system work properly, so the car sags to one side, then over compensates, but misreads the sensor and goes into an endless loop of raise and lower. I feel like a mexican in a hoopty impala with pneumatics. Even more dangerous is the fucking cruise control that decided to engage at 20 miles an hour and blast me to 65 in an urban setting. That was a serious WTF moment as I did not have my foot on the pedal and was coasting through an intersection. Stomp on the brakes and ... the shit for brains ABS tells me it will not engage, but the SRS sensor decided that it would throw an error and the dash light came on for the rest of the ride while the ABS light would blink at random moments.

The idiots at the dealership scanned the codes and were clueless as to why any of this was going on. No solution in their minds, just the luck of the draw when you failed to purchase a car from them in the past five years.

Clay

74 450SL - Froggy
'02 s320 - Victor
'86 300SDL - Polei
'82 300SD - Allen

Retired cars
'76 300D - Voldemort
'95 E300D - Cleo
'72 220D - Gump
'87 300SDL - POS SDL

92 300SE - #1 boys ride
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 10:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Innovations can be annoying when they fail and you have to pay for the fix, but are great tools for enthusiast.
Deplore scanned new to me Bluetec and when option of turning off multi-stage injections one at the time was nice gadgets, I was really impressed with option of doing compression test by analyzing starter speed.
I've been routinely doing compression test on I4 engines, but with years even I6 access made it time consuming, while V6 diesel would take most of the day.
If the computer can substitute test with few minutes of punching keyboard, I am all for it.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 04:44 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 1955 300 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
$20/1000 words? I'm a lawyer and you would go bust paying me for articles.
Noodles likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in