New Member Introduction - 1973 450SL - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 1973 450SL, 2008 ML350, (Previous 2002 E320 Wagon, 2000 230SLK)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Member Introduction - 1973 450SL

I am no stranger to motor vehicles. On my 50th birthday my sister challenged me to write down all the vehicles I've owned since I was able to drive and I surpassed 52(I had to revise the list several times to add - part of getting old). The fun cars have included anything from Z28s, Trans Ams, Corvettes, MG Midgets, convertibles, hardtops, V8s, automatics, standards......

One of the early Euros was a 1977 BMW 320i which was an absolute blast and was a trade in at a Honda Dealership. This vehicle gave me the first real introduction to the European driving experience. Since then I've had a plethora of vehicles including a few MBs along the way(2000 SLK, 2002 E320 Wagon, 2008 ML350). But the one vehicle that kept getting away - whether it was timing or other issues, was the SL series. Different periods of what my wife calls "auto holism"I've missed opportunities on purchasing SLs from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s - until recently.

The one I finally found was discovered almost by mistake. I had just sold my 1976 "Disco" Corvette, and at the second was going to be content with our three cars. I was driving home from work one day and saw a 1973 450SL with a For Sale sign on it in front of a business that was hosting a Retirement sale. I stopped, and the owner of the business came out and greeted me. He offered me the keys and I took it for a drive. I was hooked from the second I turned the key. This event sparked a number of weeks of searching as I didn't want to buy the first one once the fever started, and after a number of disappointing finds (the 1976 with 30k miles and completely rusted undercarriage from driving winters, the 1972 with carved out dash, the multiple 1981-83 with single roller chains), I came back to the 1973 and asked to bring to my mechanic. He put it on the lift and I was very pleasantly surprised to see that there was very little to no rust at all on the under carriage. Brake lines were old, but not rusted, rubber, seals, welds all clean. Very clean bill of health. It had the hardtop, good soft top, original Becker Stereo radio, AC working, cruise control (not working at the moment), and the vacuum central locking still functional. The paperwork and history was all intact, and although 94k miles, was very clean, original paint and interior, I decided to make an offer and I ended up bringing it home.

This was a two owner car - in the paperwork it included the bill of sale, bill of laden (the original owner took ownership in Germany - drove it there - then shipped it back), and other original documents from when it was delivered to Florida. The second owner bought it in Central New York, where the owner spent summers in Skaneateles, and only drove it seasonally, on decent days. I promised him the same treatment for this vehicle going forward. It took me almost 35 years to get to this vehicle, so I hope the experience is as satisfying as it is every time I turn the key.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 04:43 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1989 560SL; 2014 E350; 1960 190SL-sold; 1996 280C-sold
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
I recently tried to remember all the vehicles (cars, trucks, foreign, domestic, sports, muscle, luxury, etc.) I had purchased in the last 50 years. I thought it was a lot as there were 31 that I could remember. You beat me!

You certainly found a nice looking 107. Come and say hello at the 107 forums, and bring along your pics.
R/C107 SL/SLC Class - Mercedes-Benz Forum.
It's an active, mostly friendly :-) group who have a wealth of experience and information about owning and maintaining these wonderful roasters.

Congrats on your purchase and I wish you years of enjoyment.

When out on the road, it's always best to watch out for Pot holes, Sink holes, and those other Holes!

You can't get us confused. I'm also "Nice", but NYYYCE is NEVER "Easy"!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 09:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1972 220 D, 1974 450SL, 1995 E300D 2002 S430, 1976 300D
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
That is a very nice looking car.

The Ford/Philco cruise will never work again, as it was deleted after a safety bulletin. You may be able to rig up another system or swap in a CC from a newer model.

74 450SL - Froggy
'02 s320 - Victor
'86 300SDL - Polei

Retired cars
'76 300D - Voldemort
'95 E300D - Cleo
'72 220D - Gump
'87 300SDL - POS SDL

92 300SE - #1 boys ride
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: