post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Inquire on the cl65 amy

Hello All!,

I am new to this site, and its a pleasure joining. Just to throw out a little bit about myself, I'm currently almost finished with my undergrad work and overall I am an aspiring doctor. With med school around the corner in the next few years, I will be starting my residency immediately right after, and will be making $58-60,900 for my first two years and $65-71,900 my last two years. Rent and indoor parking yearly would be $680+ combined.

So taking into account cheap living, I also have food, clothing, hygiene, etc, and somewhere down the line insurance. My reason for saying all this is because while I do budget myself fairly well, I do have expensive desires and I feel that at some point I deserve to get myself something I want. I do not ask for much at all AND I do not shop for myself as frequent as I should.

And thats where my vehicle of interest comes in. The CL65 AMG. I've read, seen, and heard about what this car can do. Its a monster. I was originally going to go for an 08 E320, but one day I asked myself why? Why settle for something like that when you can reach for the best Mercedes possible? Heated/cool seats, multi contour with massage, v12 biturbo, I mean theres more the car provides obviously, but its probably the only inanimate object that I saw, felt, drove a little that actually swept my feet. Love at first sight I suppose. That was a 2005 model though. When 2014 made the facelift version, I fell more in love.

So, overall I did my research, or as much as I could at least, about the history of this car. Not much on the 2014 accept that car and driver gave it pretty much an all star rating. So I feel almost entirely confident. I am also aware of the HUGE depreciation factor on these cars. So I saw a 2013 for sale at $99,000. Major decline from $200,000+!! So by the time I'm on my second year, the 2014 should be about $30,000+. Which is a steal, like the 2005 I drove.

Im also aware of maintenance, gas, etc. ABC is something common I noticed. Electronics, compressors, etc. All of which could be very expensive. But as far as I'm concerned, I hear it all has to do with the cars history.

To get to my point, I want to know from anyone who has owned this car, or anyone who's an expert on Mercedes vehicles to provide me some guidance on my future choice. And here are some questions/concerns that I will provide:

1) Is considering this car, for how much I will possibly be making at that time a wise choice? If not, what other equally similar vehicles can I consider if any?

2) If this is a valuable choice, what should I know right away about these models before purchasing, and how can I find someone independent to be trustworthy enough to give me hands on support/advice?

3) In terms of taking care of it, is it possible to acquire an extended warranty? And how would the vehicle qualify as a CPO? Is there anything difficult, other than transmission I should be worried about when it comes to fixing?

These are just some general questions that I have at the moment. Please feel free to add any more information involving what I am asking, as well add anything else that can be relevant, such as more personal details about experiences, videos, links etc.

If any of you own a CL65, feel free to send videos and photos! Id love to see peoples styles and configurations!!

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read my post and providing some sense of my future dream car. Anyone who desires such thing, and works hard deserves to treat themselves. I feel that this car would be the best example of that for myself. So again, thank you so much for your time, and I hope to hear from you soon!!

Best Wishes,
Abel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Hm... I just bought 2008 E320.
When I agree CL65 can be a beast, the performance cars in the past have been ticket magnets for me.
Beside economical issues young driver will have with high-end car, I can tell you that BLuetec married to 7 sp does delivers unbelievable performance.
Diesel thanks to low rpm torque fells totally different than gasoline.
Bottom line, changing from 320 diesel to 320 gasoline (who has more HP by the book) makes me feeling like gas engine has 2 cylinders dead.
Test drive the Bluetec before making final decision. I can compare it only to 12 cylinder BMW I used to own years ago. The 60-90 acceleration makes passengers panic.
Than BMW did not deliver 35 mpg and filling up once a month sure hit sweet spot.
Bottom line, on long drive bluetec will get to final destination before CL65, simply because less time spend at gas stations.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 08-22-2016 at 10:10 AM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Hm... I just bought 2008 E320.
When I agree CL65 can be a beast, the performance cars in the past have been ticket magnets for me.
Beside economical issues young driver will have with high-end car, I can tell you that BLuetec married to 7 sp does delivers unbelievable performance.
Diesel thanks to low rpm torque fells totally different than gasoline.
Bottom line, changing from 320 diesel to 320 gasoline (who has more HP by the book) makes me feeling like gas engine has 2 cylinders dead.
Test drive the Bluetec before making final decision. I can compare it only to 12 cylinder BMW I used to own years ago. The 60-90 acceleration makes passengers panic.
Than BMW did not deliver 35 mpg and filling up once a month sure hit sweet spot.
Bottom line, on long drive bluetec will get to final destination before CL65, simply because less time spend at gas stations.

I know what you mean by the Fuel economy and the speed at which young drivers can go in. Believe me, it pops up in my mind when I think of driving that CL as my own. I actually never considered a Bluetec 320. I thought diesel cars would be slower. But ill trust your judgement and take a test drive when I'm ready and find a decent model. So would you completely discourage me from purchasing the CL65?

Thanks for the reply and insight

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 07:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

CL65 is excelent car to pass 130 mph traffic, but what use it has in US of A ?
Take it from a guy who was dreaming about Porsche while driving autobahns and later on found Porsche a no-purpose vehicle on California roads.
2008 E320 is Blutetec. What were you talking about?

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Oh. Sorry, I meant to say that I never considered the e320 08 for the qualities it had. It was just a quick suggestion by a friend who taught me how to drive. But from what you're telling me, it sounds like something to consider

Thanks for your feedback!!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:02 PM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel.nathaniel2752 View Post
Im also aware of maintenance, gas, etc. ABC is something common I noticed. Electronics, compressors, etc. All of which could be very expensive. But as far as I'm concerned, I hear it all has to do with the cars history.

To get to my point, I want to know from anyone who has owned this car, or anyone who's an expert on Mercedes vehicles to provide me some guidance on my future choice. And here are some questions/concerns that I will provide:

1) Is considering this car, for how much I will possibly be making at that time a wise choice? If not, what other equally similar vehicles can I consider if any?

2) If this is a valuable choice, what should I know right away about these models before purchasing, and how can I find someone independent to be trustworthy enough to give me hands on support/advice?

3) In terms of taking care of it, is it possible to acquire an extended warranty? And how would the vehicle qualify as a CPO? Is there anything difficult, other than transmission I should be worried about when it comes to fixing?
While I don't own this car, I have worked on high end MB, including S600.

As to your questions:

1. Let me put it this way, if you can afford to spend thousands upon thousands on a car and don't bat an eye at the expense, go for it.

My dad says: "if you can't afford to spend half of the car's worth every year, you shouldn't own it." So for a 100k car, if you can't afford to spend 50k on it, don't buy it.

Yes, it's extreme, but very applicable to this...especially to exotics.

2. Before you purchase this car, you must source a good independent mechanic nearby whose word you can trust and who won't try to rip you off. You can ask on this forum, or look on yelp or whatever. Hell, just go into a indy shop and ask the owner what they think of a CL65. If their first words is "hell no, don't buy it", then you found a good one.

3. Are you buying from an official dealer? Generally speaking, CPO or extended warranties happen on recent model cars, and within certain mileage. I have yet to hear a success story where someone bought a MB from a private party, drove to a MB dealer and purchased an extended warranty. It simply doesn't happen. They don't like gambling on unknown cars.

And on CL65....the transmission should be the least of your worries, lol. Coil packs, motor mounts, ABC suspension, tires, ball joints, and a million other things will go bad before the transmission does. The coil pack alone costs $1000 each (car takes two), the voltage transformer another $800 to $1000 (car has two), etc etc. Furthermore, this is the AMG package, so anything that's AMG specific will have its own special pricing.

The gist is, it all depends on how much you are comfortable spending on the car. Sure, you won't come close to spending 50k on the car every year, but the potential is there. This is a flagship car, and MB didn't really make this car with reliability in mind -- considering that the customer who buys these cars dump it after 1-3 years.

Kajtek has excellent suggestion in looking at a E320 Bluetec -- the newer diesels are quite fast, plus they offer excellent gas mileage. If you're performance minded, you can look at older E55AMGs -- 2005 to 2006 E55 are insanely fast, or the later E63 are awesome.

Or any 2010+ E550 -- sure, it doesn't have AMG performance, but it's quite fast on its own.

--1998 MB E300TD 285k
--1997 MB E320 198k
--2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L 212k and holding (damn gas guzzler)
--2011 Suzuki DL650 44k
--1997 MB E320 161k. SOLD...loved that stupid car.
--1998 MB ML320 207k. SOLD, thank heavens!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deplore View Post
While I don't own this car, I have worked on high end MB, including S600.

As to your questions:

1. Let me put it this way, if you can afford to spend thousands upon thousands on a car and don't bat an eye at the expense, go for it.

My dad says: "if you can't afford to spend half of the car's worth every year, you shouldn't own it." So for a 100k car, if you can't afford to spend 50k on it, don't buy it.

Yes, it's extreme, but very applicable to this...especially to exotics.

2. Before you purchase this car, you must source a good independent mechanic nearby whose word you can trust and who won't try to rip you off. You can ask on this forum, or look on yelp or whatever. Hell, just go into a indy shop and ask the owner what they think of a CL65. If their first words is "hell no, don't buy it", then you found a good one.

3. Are you buying from an official dealer? Generally speaking, CPO or extended warranties happen on recent model cars, and within certain mileage. I have yet to hear a success story where someone bought a MB from a private party, drove to a MB dealer and purchased an extended warranty. It simply doesn't happen. They don't like gambling on unknown cars.

And on CL65....the transmission should be the least of your worries, lol. Coil packs, motor mounts, ABC suspension, tires, ball joints, and a million other things will go bad before the transmission does. The coil pack alone costs $1000 each (car takes two), the voltage transformer another $800 to $1000 (car has two), etc etc. Furthermore, this is the AMG package, so anything that's AMG specific will have its own special pricing.

The gist is, it all depends on how much you are comfortable spending on the car. Sure, you won't come close to spending 50k on the car every year, but the potential is there. This is a flagship car, and MB didn't really make this car with reliability in mind -- considering that the customer who buys these cars dump it after 1-3 years.

Kajtek has excellent suggestion in looking at a E320 Bluetec -- the newer diesels are quite fast, plus they offer excellent gas mileage. If you're performance minded, you can look at older E55AMGs -- 2005 to 2006 E55 are insanely fast, or the later E63 are awesome.

Or any 2010+ E550 -- sure, it doesn't have AMG performance, but it's quite fast on its own.

Thanks Deplore for your insight. Interestingly enough, my dad mentioned something similar to what your dad said about buying an exotic car. The only difference was I expressed interest in buying a BRAND NEW one. I would never do that from what a lot of people suggested me. And I simply don't have that kind of money lurking around as of yet.

Beside the point, I have taken into consideration how much people have spent on a CL65. Not just buying but investing altogether. I looked at Edmunds on their long term CL65 a few minutes ago. In over 12 months (a year basically), I've seen them spend about $11-12,000 on repairs. Only once out of that was a scheduled service. This was all done at the dealer as well. Im assuming if it was worked on at an Indy shop it'd be less? I actually received a DM on a local Trusted Indy shop close to where I live. I would have never known! Anyways, assuming that those are yearly costs to maintain this car, It wouldn't be so bad after my second to 3rd year of residency, though Im taking everyones suggestions at Face value. I'll try to contact the owner of this shop and see what he says.

I would not purchase this car from an independent owner. Id feel much safer buying it from any dealer that is qualified to sell Mercedes Benz cars. That seems more "practical" since I want every spec of the car to be factory original as can be. Do you know how much mileage would qualify to buy an extended warranty? Are there any other qualifications other than year of model? What Im planning to do is purchase the 2014 CL65 when I'm well into my 2nd-3rd year residency. That'll be about 6-8 years from now, when the car would most likely be low enough for me to buy if I choose to do that.

As for what I want in a Mercedes overall? I want what the cl65 gave me. Comfortable and luxurious interior, speed, performance, (It would ideally be a weekend car since the week is dedicated to work so efficiency is not too much of a worry), sporty exterior, good engine and trustworthy transmission (you said earlier it would be the least of my worries, so I feel more confident about that now) and a sporty exterior. AMG models in general have something very close to what I want. The only exception is the C-Class AMG models. For some reason those don't seem to move me well enough to buy. I did look into the E-Class range as I previously mentioned! My first choice before the CL, was the 08 E320. Was recommended that before from a friend in the past. I also saw the 2016 E63 a couple of months ago and was very smitten by how it felt. Didn't drive it, but felt like me. The E55 AMG I saw on youtube this morning and you couldn't be more right on how INSANE FAST it is. Didn't even know it was supercharged until I read about it. Definitely a contender!

So it boils down to this: I think what I have to do before I'm ready to choose and buy is test drive, pre-inspect, and research further all these options I have (2014 CL65, 2008 E320 bluetec, 2005-2006 E55 AMG, newer E63 AND E550). Then based on what my potential mechanic tells me is the best bang for the buck, I can make a move and enjoy. What do you think?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 08:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Well... in 6-8 years it might be totally different automobile World out there.
You will need to covert older cars to driver-less freeways
If performance is your priority, the 350 bluetec is way bigger beast than the 320 I am driving, although reliability is still to be check.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Well... in 6-8 years it might be totally different automobile World out there.
You will need to covert older cars to driver-less freeways
If performance is your priority, the 350 bluetec is way bigger beast than the 320 I am driving, although reliability is still to be check.
You're right. 6-8 years is a long time from now. By then these would probably be relics now that you mention . But no matter. I don't think any of these issues will deter me from getting a Mercedes period. Even if if i have to settle for a CLA .

But on the matter of the E-Class, how has it held up in terms of maintenance? Also the v12 BMW you had, was that an 850 by any chance?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

E class work for us for years and even now, when kids are gone, I prefer it for leg room, that was not good for me in C.
I actually "make" money driving E diesels as I buy them cheap on east coast and after couple of years sell in CA for small profit.
That beside that C in USA are (were?) not coming with diesels and I hate spending time at gas stations.
The BMW I had was 750 iL from 1990's era.
The BMW flagship V12 had $2.60 cork gasket on oil pan, that was impossible to seal.
Parking 1/2 block from your friend to avoid situation can go only certain way.
Than the car would not pass the smog, while lifetime high voltage harness was $1400. This was the only time I had problem passing smog with European car.
That beside replacing water pump, what took me 3 days.
Bottom line, not likely I will own 2nd BMW in my life.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 08-23-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in