LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Should I get a GL or CLA?

So I recently got a job as a Public Safety Communications Operator and I am interested in purchasing a new/used car. Here are some options;

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL450 4MATIC 98000 miles $15,995

2016 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 0 miles, $299/month lease (3643 due at signing) 36 month

There is another luxury car I am interested in but I don't think I can say other names besides Mercedes-Benz on this forum but to describe it,

My #1 favorite car, It's American made and is $349/month lease (3109 due at signing) 36 month

I say the 3rd car because for the money I don't know if it's more efficient than the CLA. I say the 1st car because of the age of the car and miles. Now notice I don't have kids and live alone I don't know if the GL will be too costly for gas. But I also like the CLA when it has black rims but I don't think that comes in the Summer event model and I doubt I can change that being it's a lease. My credit score is 765 & I am 23 w/ some College owed but I pay on time every month. I've also been working for a week so I don't know if i can even get approved for a lease but even If I did get approve I would have to take out a bank loan to get the down payment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:28 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
They are so different from each it hard to answer that question.

If you will ever need AWD then the GL is the one. It will cost more just in fuel. However it can literally climb mountains.

The CLA is a nice ride, but will perform well in snow or freezing rain. Also what is standard on most GLs will add at least $6000-8000 to a CLA.

The GL has a history of issues, but being almost 9 years old hopefully they have been addressed. If the GL does not pass a good PPI at an MB dealer where they
can look up of the work done to it at by MB dealers then it could be a solid choice.
Obviously a brand new CLA will have complete bumper to bumper coverage for 4 years or 50k miles.

Just noticed you were looking at a lease on the CLA. Do not lease any car unless every payment is tax deductible.
Leases for regular drivers are designed to make the dealership a lot of profit and drain your wallet.

Last edited by Noodles; 08-17-2016 at 07:35 PM.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:31 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 2001 ML320 2004 ML500 2011 E350 2015 ML350 2002 CL55 AMG
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
If you are really good at working on vehicles and don't mind consuming gas go for the GL

If you like a louder harsher ride, replete with plastic interior and don't have dogs to take to the park get the CLA

Cadillacs are pretty nice cars...
post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:38 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Cinnasnootzer, did you notice the CLA was lease with over $3000 due at signing?

Not a good fiscal choice unless all of the lease is tax deduction land.

The OP will have to decide if he thinks he can do DIY repairs including things like air suspension, and diff bearings.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:45 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Ha! I don't think the CLA is a good fiscal choice at all, especially at those lease terms. MHO would be to pick up a three year old one on the cheap....C class...CLA is too new....

I was thinking of the air suspension as well.....I really like the GL but for me it is a little too big but is a nice rig for trips and travel with family and belongings. Just don't really like the ride dynamic for daily driving....

Another consideration on the lease is how much OP is planning on actually driving. Those mileage caps can be a pain if you like to drive....
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnasnootzer View Post
If you are really good at working on vehicles and don't mind consuming gas go for the GL

If you like a louder harsher ride, replete with plastic interior and don't have dogs to take to the park get the CLA

Cadillacs are pretty nice cars...
Lincoln MKZ
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:50 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

I was guessing Caddy....I am not familiar enough with the MKZ to help. It really depends on what you are going to use the vehicle for. If it is in town to and from work and grocery or you like to go on trips to Tahoe (whatever place).

Have you driven the CLA?
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Ha! I don't think the CLA is a good fiscal choice at all, especially at those lease terms. MHO would be to pick up a three year old one on the cheap....C class...CLA is too new....

I was thinking of the air suspension as well.....I really like the GL but for me it is a little too big but is a nice rig for trips and travel with family and belongings. Just don't really like the ride dynamic for daily driving....

Another consideration on the lease is how much OP is planning on actually driving. Those mileage caps can be a pain if you like to drive....
I'm not good at repairing cars, I personally find the W204 extremely ugly and I know that parking will be a major pain for the GL. I live 10 miles from work so about 25 miles a day however the winding streets of Downtown could be a hassle. I also don't think a GL will be good for my insurance. I test drove the GL and it seemed a little hard to drive but I could easily get used to but could be easy to transport when I move from my parents house.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I was guessing Caddy....I am not familiar enough with the MKZ to help. It really depends on what you are going to use the vehicle for. If it is in town to and from work and grocery or you like to go on trips to Tahoe (whatever place).

Have you driven the CLA?
Yeah I guess I travel to other places somewhat often. I have driven my Dad's Cadillac XTS before and It is a nice ride but I find the ATS a little ugly. I have not driven a CLA but I have test drove a Mercedes E-Class 4Matic before and It rides very well.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:02 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

That is what I am getting at. The GL does not have the driving dynamics that I personally enjoy unless I am on the open interstate cruzing....then it is nice.

The CLA is a nice looking car. Pretty nimble and responsive for buzzing to work.

I have never leased a car but there are some good resources out there to model what it will cost, IN TOTAL, over the lease period. Just so you are comfortable with that and it fits. Also the mileage cap, which you already know about.

Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in