Should I get a GL or CLA? - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 10:11 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2015
Vehicle: 2005 e320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
To the OP-did I read that you are 23? your still very young. For now, be patient, be frugal. You'll have plenty of time later in life to buy nice cars. Play your cards right now and down the road you can afford EXACTLY what you want, and you'll never have to say 'Wow if only I could have bought the _____.
oefvetw124lover likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrabid View Post
To the OP-did I read that you are 23? your still very young. For now, be patient, be frugal. You'll have plenty of time later in life to buy nice cars. Play your cards right now and down the road you can afford EXACTLY what you want, and you'll never have to say 'Wow if only I could have bought the _____.
Well i've got to do something with my current car, it is losing value way too quickly, the issues are growing that comes with owning a 12 year old Japanese car, My Multi disk CD player is broken, the car has cost me lots of money in repairs so far this year, battery malfunctions after 5 months of using it, car has broke down while driving several times, I think it has minor frame damage, the sun roof no longer works, the only thing that hasn't failed me are the heating seats which seems to last forever. To be honest while the RX has nice features, I've been driving it for over 7 years. My salary can't go but so far, I have a salary cap at only $52,000. I don't exactly know how pay works for my office as their is someone who has been working here since 1977 for only $45,000 but their is also someone who has been working here since 2012 for $94,000. And for a broader perspective their is a couple County Sheriff Deputies who salary is $210,000 - 20k higher than the Sheriff himself.
post #53 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 01:52 AM
DrX
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2003 A160
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantGL450 View Post
My Multi disk CD player is broken ...
So you can't afford to fix your CD changer, A/C buttons or sunroof in the Lexus your mother gave you, and the solution is to lease a new Benz?

Obviously you're resistant to any advice that to do so may be inappropriate for the stage of your life, but now that you're working, why don't you get all that stuff repaired first? Then you'll get $1000+ more for it in a private sale. You'll get next to nothing for it if you trade it in.

post #54 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 04:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
PPI will not tell you if you have to do balance shaft in 3000 miles, I've never heard about PPI reading SBC count neither.
Seem in last years each model has some issues and it is better to learn about coming big expense before buying the car.
I bough my last diesel knowing about oil cooler issues and was calculating its replacement in my offer.
Only after the purchase I was able to contact servicing dealer who informed me that the job was done.
But bad luck and low DIY skills would easy add $2500 for inexperienced buyer.
When buying old car always require good luck, some things can be check in advance.

You are absolutely right on the balance shaft. I was speaking to the one of the techs who worked on my GL450 and he said they had it happen on some with low mileage and some with high mileage. It is almost like rolling the dice.

Mike
post #55 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 05:05 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrabid View Post
Exactly. I think a lot of us has been there. I wanted a specific car at one point. Went to the dealership on my birthday and tried every which way to make the money work to get it. I am so glad I did not get it now. Ironically, today I could afford that car but have absolutely no interest in it but I have what I want.

To the OP, be patient. I am sure you can find cheap reliable used transportation for now. You do not want to pour a majority of your finances into a depreciating asset. It will become a burden very quickly.

In time, you will be able to reward yourself with what you want. I liked your initial plan of paying $1000 per month on your school loan. Once this is done and you get a better idea of your average living costs (your initial numbers did not allot for food, cable, utilities, IRA contributions etc), you can come up with a more realistic figure for what you can spend if you decide you still want a Mercedes or any other new or newer car.

Mike
post #56 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
yeah I'll wait a year and see if I can get some large investments going on
post #57 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 06:42 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: '02 ML500
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deplore View Post
Lol no, you keep going back to high end cars again...CLS has routine problems with the air suspension again, just like the GL and ML (if they're equipped with one).

Honestly? If you can, just outright buy a car.

I get that you want to treat yourself and have a nice car...we've all been there. Even I'm not immune, some days I've given serious thought about buying a S class or a GL...because i work on these cars so much, I could keep them on the road indefinitely with very little out of pocket expenses. But then life comes and kicks me in the teeth. I got cold feet after asking for an insurance quote. Then I got a surprise bill at the doctor for a routine health checkup...who knew that my insurance changed their policy midway? Plus plus plus...

I have two older mercs, you can see them in my Sig. Sure, they're goofy looking, but they're very reliable and best of all? They're almost as comfortable as the S classes I work on. Plus not paying payment is very nice.

Bought the 97 for less than 1.5k, the 98 for 4.5k (it's a diesel). And I've put less than 500 into the car after 1 1/2 of ownership.

That's what I would do if I were on your position.

But if you're going to insist on owning a newer model, what about the C or E classes? A 2007 E350 can be had for less than 15k and it won't have 4 digit surprise bills like that CLS.

+1

I just bought a 2002 ML500 for $2800. It has all the luxury I need. And it's paid for. If you buy a nice older car outright and take good care of it, it will last you decades. And the money you would have spent on these newer luxury models? If you put the money you'll pay in principal, interest and insurance in even a crappy fund, it will be around a million dollars when you retire. Ask yourself, is it worth a million dollars to drive this kind of car?
post #58 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I am in the process of becoming a US Army Reserve so that will add $18,000 to my salary. But as I said I'll take a look at some cars a year from now and I may be able to comfortably buy a $32,000 car. I kind of figured I'd like to have a car that will take care of itself. I'm also looking at the Tesla Model 3 which comes out in 2018 I could already put a $1000 deposit on it and by late 2017 when it is released I should be able to comfortably afford the car which I believe is valued at $35,000 slightly above the CLA and MKZ however I do believe that Tesla has more advanced features in their cars compared to Mercedes-Benz, Lincoln and even some Audi's probably. It's autopilot, charges in 1 minute, 215 mile range, 5-star safety rating w/ 0-60 in under 6 seconds however it is not as beautiful as the CLA and MKZ. Online my insurance company does not offer insurance to Tesla's so I should get a discount for switching over to another Company that does unless they just don't show Tesla's on their website.
post #59 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 03:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: toys: 92 400e,92 300CE & 93 400SEL with daily driver:12 Civic, Workhorse: 15 F150
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to oefvetw124lover Send a message via Yahoo to oefvetw124lover
welcome to the Army family

Carl

Veteran
Albany, NY, USA

92 300ce and others
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night
because rough men stand ready
to do violence on their behalf."

Si vis pacem, para bellum
post #60 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oefvetw124lover View Post
welcome to the Army family
Thank you very much I am happy to be(come) apart of it.
Deplore likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in