post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnasnootzer View Post
That is what I am getting at. The GL does not have the driving dynamics that I personally enjoy unless I am on the open interstate cruzing....then it is nice.

The CLA is a nice looking car. Pretty nimble and responsive for buzzing to work.

I have never leased a car but there are some good resources out there to model what it will cost, IN TOTAL, over the lease period. Just so you are comfortable with that and it fits. Also the mileage cap, which you already know about.

Best of luck!
i've never leased a car either or knows anyone who has but I think I would rather lease a vehicle that I am happy to have than settle to own some cheap Volkswagen or Honda when it's not like my career will allow me to get the option to have a Luxury Foreign car when I start a family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 05:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
We had a CLA for about three weeks this summer while our Mercedes was at the dealership for repairs. I was surprised at how nice they are. I really was not expecting it. I am not sure where you live, so I am not sure if snow will be an issue or not. The one we had was a 4matic. Our other daily driver Mercedes are as well. Not completely necessary in the winter but really nice to have on those bad days. We did fine with RWD Mercedes with snow tires too.

If you do decide on leasing a new car, I would take a long look at the CLA. It is also surprisingly peppy. That's the best word I can think of to describe it. I would also select having the rear view camera. I liked that too! Made life a little bit easier.

As for the GL450, we have one of those. They are big. I mean big. You need to ask yourself if you need three row seating. They are also heavy on gas. If you are concerned with monthly cost, you need to recalculate figuring in cost of gas.

The Mercedes that was in for repairs when we had the CLA was the GL. The timing chain idler pulley was worn out. This repair runs into the several thousands. Mercedes will pay a percentage based on the mileage but at the mileage you are looking at, it will be a drop in the bucket. We have an aftermarket warranty that covered our repairs fortunately.

I cannot really speak to the MKZ. Not my cup of tea, so to speak. I would also consider other options such as used or CPO. You can lease CPO vehicles from Mercedes. Just talk to a salesman at the dealership.

Mike
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pillay View Post
We had a CLA for about three weeks this summer while our Mercedes was at the dealership for repairs. I was surprised at how nice they are. I really was not expecting it. I am not sure where you live, so I am not sure if snow will be an issue or not. The one we had was a 4matic. Our other daily driver Mercedes are as well. Not completely necessary in the winter but really nice to have on those bad days. We did fine with RWD Mercedes with snow tires too.

If you do decide on leasing a new car, I would take a long look at the CLA. It is also surprisingly peppy. That's the best word I can think of to describe it. I would also select having the rear view camera. I liked that too! Made life a little bit easier.

As for the GL450, we have one of those. They are big. I mean big. You need to ask yourself if you need three row seating. They are also heavy on gas. If you are concerned with monthly cost, you need to recalculate figuring in cost of gas.

The Mercedes that was in for repairs when we had the CLA was the GL. The timing chain idler pulley was worn out. This repair runs into the several thousands. Mercedes will pay a percentage based on the mileage but at the mileage you are looking at, it will be a drop in the bucket. We have an aftermarket warranty that covered our repairs fortunately.

I cannot really speak to the MKZ. Not my cup of tea, so to speak. I would also consider other options such as used or CPO. You can lease CPO vehicles from Mercedes. Just talk to a salesman at the dealership.
Yeah but what all are the expenses of leasing a CLA as Noodler said there may be hidden costs to drain my pockets from buying the CLA.

post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 03:44 PM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantGL450 View Post
Yeah but what all are the expenses of leasing a CLA as Noodler said there may be hidden costs to drain my pockets from buying the CLA.
Buying or leasing has its own pro and cons, and you will be paying for it either way.

Leasing:

Pros:
-new car
-no major mechanical problems
-end of contract, dealer takes the car back, saving you the hassle of selling it or trading it in

cons:
-you pay for depreciation
-you pay a hefty fee on mileage if you go over the cap
-its not your car

CLA is a nice car. Decent on gas, mildly comfortable, very easy to park on account of how small it is. Cons? It's a budget MB, and it shows.

GL is a really nice car. Supremely comfortable, high road visibility, safer than comparable SUV's, has multiple utility usages (towing, hauling, room for stuff). It's basically a S-class SUV. Cons? It's a 80k+ car, and the cost of repairs will reflect that. As others have said, the air suspension is a weak spot....and that's not counting if the infamous camshaft sprocket issue has been resolved on the M272/M273 engine in that car. It's a gas guzzler -- moving 7000lb isn't easy.

You have to plan out to see if your finances allows for either. Leasing costs a bit more, but then you don't have to worry about surprise bills.

Buying the GL may initially cost less, but the surprise repair bills (especially if you don't work on your own car) and the gas bill will eat you alive....especially on a student budget. Whenever these cars come to my shop, my initial estimate starts at 4 digit and goes up. Can you afford that on a student budget?

We can only tell you the potential costs of either, and you have to decide if it's within your budget or not.

--1998 MB E300TD 285k
--2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L 212k and holding (damn gas guzzler)
--2011 Suzuki DL650 44k
--1997 MB E320 161k. SOLD...loved that stupid car.
--1998 MB ML320 207k. SOLD, thank heavens!

Last edited by Deplore; 08-18-2016 at 03:48 PM.
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deplore View Post
Buying or leasing has its own pro and cons, and you will be paying for it either way.

Leasing:

Pros:
-new car
-no major mechanical problems
-end of contract, dealer takes the car back, saving you the hassle of selling it or trading it in

cons:
-you pay for depreciation
-you pay a hefty fee on mileage if you go over the cap
-its not your car

CLA is a nice car. Decent on gas, mildly comfortable, very easy to park on account of how small it is. Cons? It's a budget MB, and it shows.

GL is a really nice car. Supremely comfortable, high road visibility, safer than comparable SUV's, has multiple utility usages (towing, hauling, room for stuff). It's basically a S-class SUV. Cons? It's a 80k+ car, and the cost of repairs will reflect that. As others have said, the air suspension is a weak spot....and that's not counting if the infamous camshaft sprocket issue has been resolved on the M272/M273 engine in that car. It's a gas guzzler -- moving 7000lb isn't easy.

You have to plan out to see if your finances allows for either. Leasing costs a bit more, but then you don't have to worry about surprise bills.

Buying the GL may initially cost less, but the surprise repair bills (especially if you don't work on your own car) and the gas bill will eat you alive....especially on a student budget. Whenever these cars come to my shop, my initial estimate starts at 4 digit and goes up. Can you afford that on a student budget?

We can only tell you the potential costs of either, and you have to decide if it's within your budget or not.
Well if my salary is $2916 a month, an average apartment is $750, I pay $95 a month for phone, I owe around 15k to college so if i were to pay $1000 a month, and plus a $299 month for a CLA plus a $93 a month for a 1 year $3643 loan with a 4.50% interest rate, that leaves me with $679 a month. I can't afford a GL if the repairs are in the 4 digits I guess and the MKZ is more per month but with a lower loan so its pretty much the same.
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 06:56 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You should not even be looking at a Benz if you salary is $36k a year. Also rule out the MKZ.

Time to look at used Jap cars. You said you wanted to be able to be driving luxury in your future. It will be there for you if you save your money now and get that student loan off the books.

Trust me, I have been there and done that. I was almost 37 years old before I could buy my first brand new Benz. And that was also owning a home and having paid off $40k in student loans.

You are trying to punch way above your weight class unless you have a rich papa that will give you money every month when the bills can not be paid.

Based on the numbers your car should cost you no more than $280 a month including, gas, insurance and routine service. That $679 you listed will not go far. Interest rates are going up soon. If you ever want to own a home go that way first and worry about how fancy your car is once you have a very stable financial foundation.
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 07:48 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I was just poking around at job sites for people that just have a HS diploma.

In 6 months a newbie at a fast food joint can earn almost $40k per year. Retail store managers are at $36k-$50k on salary(but the hours really suck)

Hospitality management with no prior experience $44k per year.

So not judging the career, I wish I knew who charged so much tuition that you need to take $15k in loans to earn just $36k per year unless that is probationary salary and in a year or so you start moving to $50k, then $70k, and more.
If you think I am being harsh, please look at the cost of living in even the cheapest states. $36k is entry level at best. I have a nephew in welding school that his company is paying for and he is making $41 an hour. Once he is fully certified as a journeyman in about 2 years he will be making $65-$70 per hour which is well over $100k per year. He left Walmart at almost $20 per hour which is more than $36k per year. Already in some states the minimum wage will approach over $30k per year. So an after hours security guard can watch TV at Home Depot for 8 hours a night and get paid $30k for doing it. He may even have a criminal record. Companies that hire "clean security" that can carry a gun are now paying close $47k in the lowly midwest.

One thing to consider. Maybe what you were trained for is worth a lot more in another part of the country. Search the web for salaries across the entire country in your chosen field. You might find a good surprise.
dlearl476 likes this.
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
I was just poking around at job sites for people that just have a HS diploma.

In 6 months a newbie at a fast food joint can earn almost $40k per year. Retail store managers are at $36k-$50k on salary(but the hours really suck)

Hospitality management with no prior experience $44k per year.

So not judging the career, I wish I knew who charged so much tuition that you need to take $15k in loans to earn just $36k per year unless that is probationary salary and in a year or so you start moving to $50k, then $70k, and more.
If you think I am being harsh, please look at the cost of living in even the cheapest states. $36k is entry level at best. I have a nephew in welding school that his company is paying for and he is making $41 an hour. Once he is fully certified as a journeyman in about 2 years he will be making $65-$70 per hour which is well over $100k per year. He left Walmart at almost $20 per hour which is more than $36k per year. Already in some states the minimum wage will approach over $30k per year. So an after hours security guard can watch TV at Home Depot for 8 hours a night and get paid $30k for doing it. He may even have a criminal record. Companies that hire "clean security" that can carry a gun are now paying close $47k in the lowly midwest.

One thing to consider. Maybe what you were trained for is worth a lot more in another part of the country. Search the web for salaries across the entire country in your chosen field. You might find a good surprise.
I live in a low cost of living area in Eastern North Carolina where they average home price is only $110k. I checked and my career doesn't pay too much different in other states that I've checked, In DC it's $53000, in New York City it's $43k, In Michigan it's $30k. I do get yearly salary increases of 3% and various additional benefits for working for the Government. I graduated from a Private University In-State, in fact, In City living with my parents for a total cost of around $150,000 ($83,000 w/ Partial scholarship). I regret that since I could have went to a Public University 5 miles away and could've been on campus for $24,000 and had taken my college fund elsewhere. Now since I get yearly pay increases I could lower my loan repayment to like $500 and pay it off in 2 years instead of 1. It's a pretty good job I guess, 8 hours a day 25 year retirement extremely good Health, Vision, and Dental insurance, 1% 401k, Life, Cancer, and disability insurance, 12 days of paid vacation, free Employee-only wellness center I'm not sure if it's the same since I work for the county but I know my city's employees children get free college education. Insurance shouldn't be too much of an issue on the CLA though, I've been rear ended once and have 1 traffic warning. I'll get a free quote and test drive the CLA this weekend, while I'm at it since you recommend Japanese cars, I may also test drive a new Toyota Camry.
Noodles and dlearl476 like this.
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 09:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Funny how subject turns.
My youngest son after graduating from Sacramento State, found his first job in .... Georgia. Sure a girl involved in it, but even after getting very decent job- he walk for 1/2 year even he drove Mercedes in California.
So his first own car is .... $700 Honda.

post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 12:10 AM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantGL450 View Post
Insurance shouldn't be too much of an issue on the CLA though, I've been rear ended once and have 1 traffic warning. I'll get a free quote and test drive the CLA this weekend, while I'm at it since you recommend Japanese cars, I may also test drive a new Toyota Camry.
If you're leasing, the dealership will require you to have full coverage. Depending on your zipcode, full coverage costs a lot of money. Sister is leasing a 2015 C300, full coverage is $1800/y on that car alone. For comparison, I pay 1k/y for 3 cars and 1 bike...granted, liability only, but still.

We're not raining on your parade -- it's your money, do what you want. But if you want to get a brand new MB, Toyota, Lincoln, whatever, you need to know all possible paramutation before deciding on a course of action.

Any sort of lease, full coverage is required.

Any vehicle purchase over 10k that's financed (depends on the finance company, but the general rule is over 10k) may require full coverage.

If I were in your shoes, I'd take a good look at older jap vehicles. Something in 2007 and up range. I'm particularly fond of the non-hybrid 2009+ Toyota Camry....very smooth, great on gas and comfortable. Plus, the AC is SERIOUSLY good. I would pay a lot of money to transplant the AC system from a toyota into any of my cars. The good thing about those Camry is that they can be had under 15k.

If you really want a MB, then that's a different story.

--1998 MB E300TD 285k
--2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L 212k and holding (damn gas guzzler)
--2011 Suzuki DL650 44k
--1997 MB E320 161k. SOLD...loved that stupid car.
--1998 MB ML320 207k. SOLD, thank heavens!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in