BenzWorld Elitist
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Mercedes and J.D. Power

It's pretty much common knowledge that Mercedes-Benz spent a few years in the woods with respect to quality/dependability issues several years back, mostly in the late 90s/early 00s, depending on model. Many of the issues had to do with electronics/sensors/control systems etc, and Mercedes took a (well-deserved) beating in the motor press and even in the popular consciousness.

Now, obviously JDP is just one set of data points, and I don't place too much value on its IQS (Initial Quality Survey) which seems to get the most mention in the mass media. However, I think its VDS (Vehicle Dependability Survey) is more meaningful, in that it tracks reported issues over the first three years of the car's life.

The charts below show these reports, and remember each chart refers to the models of three years previous. That is, the 2014 survey pertains to 2011 cars. Certain year-over-year anomalies come about because a new model was introduced which had teething pains, and drags the entire make/nameplate down. Jaguar's XF was a case in point. Ford had worked wonders with Jaguar's notorious reliability rep but the introduction of the XF in 2008-09 clobbered Jaguar's rating (see 2011/12 in comparison with previous years).

Look how poorly MB's 2002 models fared in the first survey from 2005, then note the trend:

Daimler's dramatic improvement over this period is no small feat, since nearly every other mfr was trying its best to improve as well. Never before in history have so many cars been so durable and dependable. Note that the industry average dramatically improved over the period shown here, though it crept up slightly in the past few years, possibly due to the increased complexity of electronic driver aids. Finally, it's worth noting that among the limitations in the JDP surveys is the fact that all reported issues are treated equally; that is, a Bluetooth pairing fault counts as much as a transmission failure.
Noodles likes this.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 01:15 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 2001 Mercedes Benz ML430 w163, RIP Mercedes Benz 1996 e320 w210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Mercedes and J.D. Power

Okay interesting. So should I trade my 2001 ml for a say 2010 ml63?

Numbers don't lie but I don't think these numbers would make me feel comfortable in ml63 after reading how shady the engine is.

Also I would like to know how the study was conducted. Where was the data taken from?

So basically you would less problems with a newer Mercedes because of quality improvement however I don't think it will be cheaper to maintain a newer Mercedes compare to an older one.

The way I look at is during these studies no car is older then 3 years so then they still have warranty. So why would I give a damn if it's covered by warranty.

I would like to see studies done on vehicles which were maintained and appreciated and see how it stacks up against other makes.

In the end tho I still wouldn't give a shit about Lexus or Acura because the sheer enjoyment of driving a Benz compare to any other make isn't measurable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOve W210!
  • E55 W211 AMG Wheels

• AMG ML55 Wheels
  • Lamella Panoramic Roof
  • Custom Straight Pipe Exhaust post cat

Last edited by Bodya; 08-07-2016 at 01:22 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 05:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
I don't know, but my experience did not change in last 15 years.
When grommets and plastic clips on 8 years old MB deteriorate and break off, I go on junk yard and remove the same size grommets from 25 years old car. The 25 yo hold up pretty well.
Glow plug module fail on our 2008 model. I open it up looking for water intrusion or other damage.
Nothing, nada. Perfectly clean interior with well protected electronic board.
Failed internally just because.
Bodya likes this.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 08-07-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: