Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Which US MB model to buy....advice?

510 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  2000 C280 Sport 
#1 ·
I'm trying to decide among a few different Mercedes Benz models and generations - essentially, I really like the old boxy Mercedes look and feel. My main criteria is:

1. Long-running - hoping to keep for many years, so would like to be able to run it for a long while without any major issues - I understand some generations are better than others for this.

2. Easy/inexpensive to repair - I don't have the space or the time to maintain myself, so would need to take to a local shop in the SF bay area for everything. I really want a model which doesn't need to go to the dealer for to be hooked up to diagnostics.

The models/generations I'm trying to decide between are (I'm leaning most toward the two at the top of the list):

- 95-00 Mercedes C-230 or C-280 - I hear they improved quality-wise from 1998.5 to 2000, true?
- 02-09 E-Class - I hear mixed reviews on reliability for these, do they need dealer for servicing due to the diagnostic systems?
- 95-02 E-Class - Love the look of these, but same question as above.
- 93-95 Mercedes E-Class - I know very little about this generation - are they reliable or money pits?

Thanks in advance for the help! I live in San Jose, so if anyone is local and has a good shop recommendation, let me know!

See less See more
#2 ·
This is the thing, no one of these models are ''better'' than the others with all of them being rather old. It's all about care and maintenance. Find the best maintained and cared for car you can and buy that one, regardless of model. You are far better off doing that than trying to pick based on looks.

#3 ·
Bare in mind newer cars have more "high maintenance" items.
The W210 (1997-02) proved to be the best bang for a buck and they don't have any bad combination, like next (and some previous) generations of MB do.
Going up in the years you jump from one troublesome item to the other and you will find lot to read about on the net.

#4 ·
Out of what you listed I would find a 1995 E Class (W124). 2002 E Class (W210) or a 2009 E Class W211. Look for low miles and records of what has been done. All last year models. Skip the W202 all together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.