Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Steering Wheel

674 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Harv81 
#1 ·
After my last oil change on my 2004 SL500, I complained that the steering wheel has too much free play after the alignment.

Yesterday as I drove in my garage, I herd a pop and lost my steering, My steering wheel can turn in circles and not move the tires. I was lucky that it happen in my garage.

#4 ·
Well,

It will only cost $450 to repair the spring and strip bolts/nuts. Everyone told me that I was lucky that it not happen on the interstate. It is kind of hard to drive with no steering.

Dealer told me it was normal wear and tear, but are there warning signs before this can happen? I could have been killed.

#7 ·
I take my car in the Mercedes dealer for all the services and issues. A strip $5 dollar bolt behind the steering wheel was the caused of the issue for my steering wheel to go in circles and for my clock spring to go out.

I am surprised that there were no warning signs. How can you spot steering wheel issues?

What if I was driving 70mph and it happen on the interstate. I would have been in a major accident with no steering control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.