LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 07:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Who is that old to remember
MB always put same engines in several models.
Right now the same Bluetec can be find in E, ML, GL, R, S, probably C in non-American market and who knows what else in exotic markets.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
That's how the mass production game works. The sort of thing that catches my attention is the power steering pump and reservoir on the W123 300TD I saw. A proper wing nut on proper steel threads holding a proper cast aluminum lid on a proper cast aluminum pump body that is properly rebuildable. That's how that shit's supposed to be! Now get off my lawn! :-)

I saw a later model (later 80s I think), and that same wing nut was some shitty piece of plastic... Everything else looked the same, so it's not a complete deal breaker of a slide, but definitely a move in the wrong direction.

I haven't had the opportunity to inspect a gasser of the same vintage, but a run through the googler shows what looks to be a similar if not the same design peeking out of a 450sl. That's the sort of thing I REALLY like in a car...
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 10:16 PM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre6000 View Post
My general rule of thumb is that if it's newer than me, it's probably not worth messing with. There are very few cars my junior that aren't loaded with crappy failure piles of plastic.
"newer" than you? The earliest W140 was in 91, and earliest W210 was 96. So what, you're 20 or 29 years old?

--1998 MB E300TD 285k
--2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L 212k and holding (damn gas guzzler)
--2011 Suzuki DL650 44k
--1997 MB E320 161k. SOLD...loved that stupid car.
--1998 MB ML320 207k. SOLD, thank heavens!

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 11:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2000 SL320, 2001 CLK320
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Sounds like 18 with years of experience
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
18 years of experience is a little high, but pretty close. I never said anything about a W140; that was you/Deplore. I quietly ignored the suggestion for the reasons I outlined and to be generally polite. I don't have enough information to know that I'd turn one down outright, but I do have enough to know I won't be going out of my way for one.

That said, it's a rule of thumb, not a hard fast law. I was recently in a pretty horrific car accident in a classic pickup truck. It nearly killed both me and my dog, and absolutely destroyed the truck. Head on, 60mph, and the only safety equipment the truck had was a seatbelt and mass. I have a lot of pressure from my wife and family to get something safer. Add to that the asshole's shitty insurance practically stealing my truck from me, and with all the medical crap I had to go through, the settlement is still a good way out and the bills are still coming. The original plan was a Boxster, Cayman, or Carrera until I realized that with my wife's brand new Jeep, my two project cars, and my shop accoutrement I'd have to keep the Porsche outside. If I'm going to keep a car outside, I don't want it to be something I'm making payments on. As such, I'm in cash car territory. I'm trying to talk myself into something newish, but I keep coming across plastic garbage failure piles masquerading as automobiles and being completely turned off.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 12:45 PM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Well. Then you're not exactly going to find a safe classic Mercedes. Old w123 are going to be the same as your classic truck -- no airbags, solid steel all around and who knows if of the 30 year old seat belt will still work. Not to mention that the insurance will total the car for having a parking lot ding, let alone any sort of serious accident.

It's the same story for W126 and W124, who knows if the airbags and seat belts will be still operational.

Plus these cars are going to be a endless project cars. You will find something wrong with it, I guarantee it.

I keep finding new things to fix on both of my W210, and they're less than 20 year old. Considering that both cars were built upon the old W124 platform....that's saying something.

Good luck with your search, and I hope you find a perfect car, Mercedes or no.

--1998 MB E300TD 285k
--2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L 212k and holding (damn gas guzzler)
--2011 Suzuki DL650 44k
--1997 MB E320 161k. SOLD...loved that stupid car.
--1998 MB ML320 207k. SOLD, thank heavens!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 01:24 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre6000 View Post

That said, it's a rule of thumb, not a hard fast law. I was recently in a pretty horrific car accident in a classic pickup truck. It nearly killed both me and my dog, and absolutely destroyed the truck. Head on, 60mph, and the only safety equipment the truck had was a seatbelt and mass. I have a lot of pressure from my wife and family to get something safer. Add to that the asshole's shitty insurance practically stealing my truck from me, and with all the medical crap I had to go through, the settlement is still a good way out and the bills are still coming. The original plan was a Boxster, Cayman, or Carrera until I realized that with my wife's brand new Jeep, my two project cars, and my shop accoutrement I'd have to keep the Porsche outside.
As an aside—and as much as I love Porsches—the SUVs and pickups that litter our highways will run right over the hood and put their front bumper and/or front wheels right through your windshield in a car that low. All you have to be doing is sitting at a traffic light when someone's playing with his/her phone. Glad you and your dog survived your accident.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 04:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deplore View Post
Well. Then you're not exactly going to find a safe classic Mercedes. Old w123 are going to be the same as your classic truck -- no airbags, solid steel all around and who knows if of the 30 year old seat belt will still work..
That is what I was pointing above, but somehow it was not noticed.
Comparing to truck W123 will not have engine mass, what would mean getting something less safe.
W124 come with air bag (1) and I think last MY had more safety features, but good question what is going to work at the age.
I kind keep records about serious accidents and W210 has very advanced crumple zones.
The car ends will smash like potatoes, but cabin will stay and the door will open.. at least most of the time.
There is pictorial in archives where member's wagon was rear-ended by SUV at 60 mph and he walked away.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Safety is relative. For instance, I'm pretty gun shy toward cab over and old mid/rear engined stuff (modern stuff that meets safety regs is fine). My wife is not thrilled with the idea of an old British roadster, but I'm not sure I'm fully against it. Seatbelts are a must, but I don't mind installing them myself. Mass, headrests and a little distance between my head and panes of glass are worthwhile. Crumple zones only count if they're intended to be crumple zones (see comment re: mid/rear engined cars and cab over).

Mercedes pretty much pioneered air bags, antilock brakes, and all manner of other fun things before they trickled down to the masses. They were THINKING about safety while every one else was concerned with... I don't know... What shade of velour to plaster all over everything? I felt perfectly safe in my '57 Karmann Ghia. That said, I did stay off the road when it was snowy and soccer moms had their heads in their apps...
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 05:02 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 1984 280sl 5spd, 95 C280, 02 E320 4matic, 79&79 450sl part-out, 78 300CD
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Garage
Get both, a R107 for the nice days, and a 123 diesel for dayly driving

I have both and, and after a little maintenance both have been highly reliable. My R107 is a 84 280SL with a 5 speed manual. It is a blast to drive on twisty mountain roads, with its high revving M110. The main maintenance so far other than appearance mods, was to replace valve stem seals, and adj valves.

The 78 300CD has 250K on it. 10K put on by me in the last 10 months. It has taken alot more maintenance, water pump, new starter, up-grade battery cables, adj valves, and replace most of the rubber mounts. Car has never left me stranded, and if you do your own work these repairs are really not more expensive than on any domestic car. I like the simplicity of the OM617 engine, the sound of a diesel on start up, and being unique. The non-turbo is geared perfect for our gravel/secondary roads here 60/65MPH, but is to low geared for interstate speeds 75+. Looking for a second W123, a turbo 300CD for interstate cruising, with its higher gear ratio's right now.

Both the R107, and W123 are classy, raw, and just fun to drive. Plus easy to work on without all the modern electrical BS. Do not think you could go wrong with either.

Right now I am restoring a 72 Chevy K10 4x4 Good Luck in your search
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01094.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1930089   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01095.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1930097  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in