Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

newbie PSE issues

597 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
Having removed my failed S430 PSE pump, I'm trying to check for potential leaks of the 8 separate 'system' tubes/hoses (door locks, snubbers, seat bladders etc) to avoid frying a new pump. I've read elsewhere to use a hand vacuum pump and check to see if each line holds vacuum, but in doing so only one line holds. It's unlikely that all other systems are leaking. Is this an valid test? Previous to the entire system shooting craps the drivers door snubber was inop and occasionally then right rear door lock was slow.

#2 ·
I am preparing for the same job on our W211 dynamic seats and so far I gather that system operates somewhere in 15-30 psi range.
From my experience doing vacuum on system that works with pressure is not reliable.
As well as opposite. I still have good pump so I am planning to measure how many psi it pumps, than hook up my garage compressor to the system with regulator set to measured psi.
Air leaks on small tubings can be nightmare to trace. I just had a leak on my air suspension where pinhole would hold 120 psi, but would leak at 140 psi.
Good luck on the project. Start it on the begging of the weekend and make sure you have lot of cold beer standing by.

#4 ·
You are likely correct, as we have different PSE systems.
Mine has no vacuum.
Still remember years ago dealing with W123 vacuum and slow lock was usually indication of bad element inside the door.
Thinking about it - Mercedes had to figure out that vacuum leaks are unavoidable when it switched from vacuum reservoir to PSE pumps about 30 years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.