Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can I drive my car if Check Engine On and code P242B?

16K views 21 replies 3 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 ·
Hello All,
Check Engine light is on, code P242B
Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor 3

Can I drive or I have to take it to a dealer immediately ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
So it is pending code.
Get a can of MAF, or other good cleaner and give the plug good wash, then recheck.
Considering that not too many engines have exhaust temp sensor, I don't think it is crucial, but when I like MB engineering, I have very bad opinions about MB programmers and logic they use.
Again, the car has computer to protect the engine if something is really wrong.

#6 ·
My guess it is on the ..... exhaust ;)
Bank 1 should be driver side, but confirm that.
Just bought 2008 Bluetec and it takes some time to recognize all the stuff on the engine.
Got surprise checking thermostat. The sucker is electrically adjusted.
Good luck playing with it.

#9 ·
My limited knowledge of these high tech new diesels tells me yes, but see if you can find a dealer in the area that offers loaners.
Also they do not want warranty cars around long. Once the diagnosis is made they will get the part overnight if possible and have your
car for less than 36 hours. I would call in an appt and tell them what is wrong. They may want it right away to prevent possible damage to even
more emissions related parts.

#13 ·
Wow, I am at a loss. Due to regulations in Europe and the US they have made the diesel emissions systems so complicated that I could not even hazard a guess as to what is going on.
At this point if it were my vehicle I would be in touch MBUSA and asking for a regional service manager to open a case on your issue.

It is baffling that even a dealer can not get this figured out in three visits.

#14 ·
Based on the tech notes from the last visit, they had to replace the sensor, its located under the engine panel, they had to take panel off to perform 40K inspections. I have a car for a few days and light comes back. Im getting tired of it very annoying. We have a road trip planned on 4Th of July holiday now Im not sure if I can rely on this car. Very disappointed.

#15 ·
We have a member here who for 3 years is trying to fix ignition switch on his 18 years old car and dealer after taking 4 digits for new parts did not know why the engine is still not starting.
It is job ethic that you are facing here. Those people are getting paid highly for learning new technology, yet they think they "deserve" the high pay without learning much.
That is why I avoid professional shops like disease.
Would you have phone operator who doesn't know how to operate touch pad - would you blame new technology, or job training?
I think your case qualify to get regional representative involved and letting him know that you are not that nice guy.

#16 ·
Sorry, never had an opportunity to deal with regional service manager before.
How can they help? What will they do? I don't want to get someone at service mad at me, they take my car in right away and I get loaner. Dealer's service managers are very responsive and trying to help.

#18 ·
Yes, I do care.
#1 . I have to deal with this dealer service department all the time, oil changes and future services.

#2 . Management is on top of it, I just called them, I have appointment scheduled and loaner will be ready for me.

If I get regional rep involved how does it help? Do they send their tech team to fix it? Probably not.

Im afraid they will ask dealer service dep to provide the status on it, but I might be wrong.

#19 ·
So you have "political" dilemma.
I have no pity for idiots, so it would not take me long to make complain.
Manager on top of 3 butchered jobs does not click with me neither.
To top it, you will find on the net a story about Bluetec owner, who was taking his car to dealer for service/repairs and the engine seized at 65k miles.
When dealer washed their hands from responsibility, the independent inspection found that oil inside the engine turned into semi-solid jello.
That most likely indicate that the oil was not changed for very long time, even the owner paid for it hefty price.
The other owner did not want to upset the dealer as well and he eat the cost of junking the car.
Good luck to you.

#20 ·
I know what Dand is going through. I have been in that position and used to work with many of the techs and parts people that are at the dealer I use.

They do take of me with prompt responses and loaners as needed.

I would hope that they can get the ML fixed and if a loaner is being used that if the problem comes back the loaner can be used for the road trip. If the loaner is too small like a C Class for the upcoming road trip hopefully they can supply an ML.

I do not have much patience either when it comes to botched work, but would be willing to give the dealer one more try seeing as Dand is getting decent treatment. A lot of dealers are not even handing out loaners anymore.

#22 ·
Yup Kris you are right. Every owner should stop getting any routine service done at a dealer based on a story that now has a nice picture to scare members. Thank you for that.

If you did not notice, the thread has nothing to do with oil. It is a about a code that relates to a diesel only emissions sensor.

Anymore oil scare posts will be deleted. It is not fair to base the story of one member and post it a thread that relates that relates to a sensor that othe W166 ML owners have had similar issues with.

Dand....I am closing this thread because Kajtek has brought it off topic.

Please start a new thread once you have a solid resolution with your ML, the dealer and MBUSA if MBUSA is even needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.