Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Genuine MB motor oil

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
Noticed my indi service place has switched to Gen. MB motor oil from Mobil 1.

I asked why, and they said it is less expensive.

Must be a lot less expensive if they are willing to fart around with quart bottles.
But then again, I am not sure they were buying Mobil 1 by the barrel (pump-able).

#3 ·
Then they also don't produce cars. They are the sum of hundreds of suppliers...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Mercedes-Benz-5W30-Synthetic-229-52/dp/B00R0CRISI?ie=UTF8&keywords=genuine%20mercedes%20benz%20motor%20oil&qid=1464405774&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1[/ame]

#4 ·
I did buy some of the new MB branded oil and it was cheaper at $6 a quart than the single bottles of Mobil 1. Only the the 5 quart jugs that some Walmarts have in the 0w40 comes out to less money. One exception that is about the same price is the Total Quartz 9000 5w40 that I run in the hot months and when purchased in cases on Amazon was a similar price. However Amazon stock on the Total in quarts is spotty. I got 12 quarts for $70 and free 2 day shipping.

#7 · (Edited)
can't shake the impression that from China posing as OEM supplier, we moved to USA posing as Genuine Mercedes. ;)
Oils are very hard to judge, but any impression after some use?
The linked one is heavier than recommendation when cold, so longer pressure build up, while thinner hot, meaning less protection.
Personally I've been fan of Castroll for over 35 years and Walmart sells it in recommended weight.
Mobil1 never scored high in my books.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.