Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

looking into a 80s 300TDT Wagon

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
I need a new daily driver.

After searching through many different types of vehicles, I have landed on the 300 TD Turbo Wagon. After a ton of research through wikis and forums I feel I have a good grasp on what to look for to determine if the car is a good by (rust under battery, window seals, vacuum tests, etc.) I also plan on taking said wagon to a local trusted Benz Indy. With all that said, I still have not Driven, touched or even seen one in Birmingham AL where I reside.

Any of you local to this area? If so would you be willing for me to spend some time asking questions or maybe even taking a ride?

Would like to get into this Benz world but need a little help.

Thanks in post. This group has been very helpful so far.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.
I can surely admire you devotion to start MB experience with 30 years old model.
I used to drive one of those you are considering, but replaced it becouse it become too outdated and even I fix 6 oil leaks, the thing was still dripping in hard to access area.
I am not surprised you can't find one in Alabama. The state is not really Mercedes-popular and even some of them were driven there, at this time they probably corroded.
You need to seek those cars in California, Texas, or Florida.
The W123 section seems to be still pretty active, so you can get in touch with current owners there.
Good luck on your search.
FYI on 300 TDT
300 means engine size
T is for "touristic ?" aka wagon
D is for diesel
T is for turbo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.