Recommend a Used Mercedes - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 04:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsden View Post
I agree too. Find a low-mileage E350 from 2008 or (preferably) 2009 with a decent service record and you can't really go wrong. Get it inspected before purchase if you are at all nervous about it.
I had sold my c280 after 14.5 years of service. I was thinking of Lexus simply because my Camry has been problem free and I want less headaches as I get older.

I find the E class very appealing though...cheaper and more abundant on the used market compared to the Lexus I'm looking for (LS 430). What issues are common with this particular model that I need to look out for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 07:30 AM
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyc280 View Post
I had sold my c280 after 14.5 years of service. I was thinking of Lexus simply because my Camry has been problem free and I want less headaches as I get older.

I find the E class very appealing though...cheaper and more abundant on the used market compared to the Lexus I'm looking for (LS 430). What issues are common with this particular model that I need to look out for?
Needless to say, the W211 Forum knows more than I do. I had a (very minor) SBC issue when I got my car (it had 55 miles) which was obviously fixed under warranty. Other than that I had no issues but I traded mine in at 7K miles because I am sort of spastic like that

I really like the CDI (Bluetec not far behind) if you do a lot of driving, particularly highway driving. They are workhorses with awesome torque and great fuel mileage. The main thing with the regular W211s is the balance shaft/idler sprocket issue and that's mainly confined to 2007 models (check for affected engines). Both this and the SBC issues affect a distinct minority of vehicles, but they are a risk which should be factored into any purchase. Also, most V8 models have Airmatic which I would avoid like the plague.

A good W211 has a tight, precise feel on the road which I find more agreeable than the plush Lexus LS ride. But of course, nothing can touch the Lexus when it comes to being bulletproof. As mentioned upthread, a low-mileage example of a 2008 or 2009 W211 is a great used-car purchase. Now that I review the earlier posts in the thread I see that I'm repeating myself so I'll shut up now
lovemyc280 likes this.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 07:40 AM
BenzWorld Elitist

Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
BTW I noticed in 2008 MB installed dummy gauges.
I drive with scangauge that shows engine temperature changing from 177 to 215F, yet the cluster gauge is glued at 85C.
There are some reports about Bluetec seizing due to bad oil and I wonder if dummy gauge simply gave too late warning.
Arrgh. Jaguar does this too. The gauge is no better than a warning light. A tad infuriating to those of us who actually like to monitor our car's health. (Though, it doesn't explain this...)

OTOH, MFRs were discovering that people kept adding oil to their crankcases when their oil-pressure readings dropped. Finally the engineers insisted that oil-pressure gauges be removed since there are too many idiots driving cars nowadays. MFR cost cutters were only too happy to comply.
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 09:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Each W211 model has issues on its own.
SBC and airmatics are systems that lot of owners and even technicians don't understand.
When they are superior systems - they come with a cost.
Than the only drivetrain that comes with no complain is W210 transplant 320/5 speeds.
The 350 has balance shaft on some models, cdi has black death, Bluetec has oil cooler.
Fortunatelly most of those are not really big issues, but that leads to the situation that you can buy one of them for $5000, only to find months later that you need to do $4000 "maintenance" on it.

post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 08:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 1990 300SEL (the new daily), Lexus LS (my baby)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyc280 View Post
I find the E class very appealing though...cheaper and more abundant on the used market compared to the Lexus I'm looking for (LS 430).
Don't you think there's a huge screaming reason for that? Build quality and reliability are miles apart. Mercedes is not even in the same league as Lexus. I own both, and my Mercedes is a lot of fun, but I would never suggest to anyone that it is comparable (in terms of reliability) to a Lexus.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 12:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboy View Post
Don't you think there's a huge screaming reason for that? Build quality and reliability are miles apart. Mercedes is not even in the same league as Lexus. I own both, and my Mercedes is a lot of fun, but I would never suggest to anyone that it is comparable (in terms of reliability) to a Lexus.
Clearly yes. That's why I pick up an LS 430 next Friday.
fanboy likes this.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 09:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
It is an absolutely awesome machine.

The only small negative point as compared to Mercedes is the seat leather. It's less solid and wears down faster than Mercedes leather.

Lexus is, in terms of engineering and fit and finish, everything that people think that Mercedes is.

Again. My Mercedes (like past MBs I've owned) is a ton of fun, and the feeling is like nothing else. But in terms of fit, finish, engineering, and ultimately, reliability, it's not anywhere near the Lexus.
lovemyc280 likes this.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:49 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I am saving up all of my pennies to be able to buy Toyota with a Lexus badge.
lovemyc280 likes this.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 04:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
I used to tease people who drove Lexus, and say the same thing, haha. But then I drove the Camry XLE and an ES 330 back to back and they felt totally different inside. I thought for sure they'd be similar, but nope. The LS even more so...wow.

I'm a cheap arse though. I got this LS 2004 Modern Luxury package for $10,500. All service records, everything works. 86k miles. Needs tires and an alignment, that's about it. If it is any bit as good as the Camry I'm about to sell, then I'll have many more years of trouble free driving ahead of me on my Toyota...I mean Lexus. =)

My apologies for hijacking this thread. Please carry on...
fanboy likes this.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 04:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
The Toyota brand has meant impeccable quality for the past twenty years. Over the same twenty years, the Mercedes brand has meant many things, but not impeccable quality. And yes, you'd better save your pennies, because those gussied-up Toyotas hold a lot of their value.

Horses for courses. I enjoy Mercedes cars, but I'm not delusional about what they are and what they're not.
lovemyc280 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in