Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Quite appalled by the Lane Assist and Distronic systems

915 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Cbus_Nick 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Recently got hold of my Station-wagon E250, after having driven a Volskwagen Passat, and I have to say I am quite unimpressed by the driving assistance systems:

1. The Lane Assistance tries to keep my car in the lanes but if the curve is a little too sharp it will just fail, and sometimes when it does not it sends my car across the lane towards the other side. It then swerves back, and is now off on the other side.

2. I've tried the Histrionic in town; I was approx. 10m behind a large public transport bus, and activated the Distronic. My car "jumped" at the bus so fast that I actually had to slam the brakes to prevent a (very likely) collision.

Any comments? (Dis)similar experiences?

#2 ·
1. Lane Assistance is exactly what it's called. Assistance, not 'take my hands off the wheel and let the car drive itself'. The system isn't built to take sharp curves. Not sure what you were expecting.

2. Distronic is not made for town driving. It's made for the highways.

Use the equipment as intended and you'll have a much better experience.

#4 ·
I wonder when the OP will do the coke can trick so he can take hands off the wheel and let the car drive him. ;)
Thanks for the review so. I am not big fan of gadgets and actually miss manual transmission, but when we age, we tend to like luxury more.
Especially when luxury covers up the screw ups.

#5 ·
Sounds like you have your Distronic set to too close of a following distance for your liking. I activate Distronic in stop in go traffic in town all of the time and don't have that issue ( I set mine for a roughly two car link space between myself and the car in front of me)

Lane Keeping Assist has nothing to do with steering so I don't know what you mean by your comments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.