Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

SLK 350 putting in storage

700 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
What do I need to do when storing my slk350 for 5 months?
also is it better to leave outside with cover or in garage. [I live in Fl. in the winter, garage gets very hot in summer]

#2 ·
Dave,
I store two vehicles in the winter so a lot of what we do in the colder climates does not apply to you but at the least I would change the oil, over inflate the tires, and fill the gas tank. Also add some stabil to the gas. I also use a battery tender. My craftsman gave up the ghost last year. I have a ctek one this time around. Reviews were very positive on this battery tender. I would consider placing yours on a tender as well.
In addition to those items (and this would be the stuff I do not know applies to you), I cover the exhaust opening and place mice traps in the car. I also put moth balls in the trunk. I have been told the smell keeps the critters out. No idea how valid that is but I have not had any issues with animals getting in and chewing up wiring and the such so I keep doing it. I also throw a couple of dryer sheets in the car along with a couple of open boxes of baking soda.
Cars are washed and waxed and interiors cleaned before storage. Another item that is probably not applicable given the warm climate, coat the rims (not tires) with Vaseline to provide a barrier from corrosion.
I just got back from Florida a couple of days ago. Went from 80 degrees in the morning in Miami to 30's and snow in Michigan in the afternoon but we are only a little bit away from the cold weather ending here, hopefully.

#3 ·
It may get hot in the garage, but IMO the car would be safer from the elements. A bad hail storm can really mess up the body even if it is covered while parked outside.
Also electrical hookup for the battery tending device is much easier when a car is inside. Either way I would cover the car.

#4 ·
UV are the worse enemy, while car deals with high temperatures on daily bases. So put it inside garage.
5 months is not long storage, so no need for anything beside pulling battery clamp.
With good battery the car will start after reconnection, but plan on charging the battery before restarting.
Battery maintainers are good thing, but who will monitor them?
They fail occasionally as well...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.