Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

pan heater vs. block heater

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  liza 
#1 ·
any idea about the pan heater and the block heater. what makes a difference?

#2 ·
Block heater usually describe factory heater that has heating element plug into cooling system, meaning you will get some coolant circulation spreading heat on the engine.
Pan heater is add-on heater, often with magnet holding it to steel pans that warms up the pan only.

#6 ·
Is it MB pan heater? Most MB of last 20 years do have belly pans, that will prevent using one.
I never used it, but have seen heater that mounts on radiator hose. Depends on your engine configuration this could be nicer option.
Not to mention that if your car has REST button, you can come to car 1/2 hr before planed start and have the heat spread into the cabin as well.

#7 ·
I don't think so, it install by pug city. They recommend it than block heater. I just want some idea or output bout it. Because here in Fortmc it's very bad cold and I heard this coming winter is a bloody cold even our spring and summer. My b200 class when it's colder coldest weather almost can't start or even it die when reach -40 to -48. So I have a pan heater now install hoping it help to me soon

#8 ·
When I can scratch my head where Fortmc is, you are not saying in -40 is in F or C?
Not that I can't imagine how cold it is regardless the scale.
My solution for cold winters was moving to California and I can't imagine using car in those temperatures without heated garage.
Even when you start the engine, how long it takes to get cabin warm?
Do you have Webasto? That probably would be the best for your situation, although costly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.