Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Modern Mercedes sedan with W124 ride quality?

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
I love how my 1995 E320 rides. It's not too soft for sporty driving, yet not too stiff for daily driving. It also has a long suspension travel to tackle bumps and potholes at any speed.

What would be a modern (i.e. < 10 yrs old) yet reliable Mercedes C or E class sedan that still offers the same ride quality? I might be looking for a newer one in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Lol. What I mean is given the push to go more sporty with tighter suspension and lower profile tires on newer cars including Mercedes, has the ride quality changed? If so, which newer models still have that balanced ride? If it hasn't changed at all then that's good news to me.

#4 · (Edited)
I still get to drive 3 generations of MB on maybe not daily, but monthly basis.
W124 is the oldest and the one I enjoy the least. The boat feeling was ok 30 years ago, but not by today's standard. Frankly I liked W123 better.
So yes, ride quality did change quite a bit in those years.
I will not even go into airmatic suspensions that can be driver-adjusted at freeway speeds.

#5 ·
Thanks I appreciate the input. I actually like ride on both the W123 and W124. The W123 does have a less complicated rear suspension though, which I think feels more solid in the long run when compared to an aging multi-link setup in the W124.

Still I don't think that the w124 is a land yacht if compared to a 94 Cadillac DeVille that I once owned. It feels more planted and predictable. I prefer a suspension that does its job by keeping all tires in contact with the road. To me the lower profile tires, lower stance, and stiffer ride in today's cars are marketing gimmicks for sports sedans or sedans for that matter. These do well for cars that see track time on smoother race track asphalt.

I think that both models came with Bilstein shocks. These actually contribute to the Mercedes Benz ride characteristics. I wonder if the newer ones still use Bilsteins.

How would it compare to your W211? I guess I should just test drive one and find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 · (Edited)
Our W211 wagon has front struts and rear air bags.
I put 18" on it and thanks to superior suspension it is acceptable on our bumpy roads.
Don't think you'd like 18" wheels on W124.
When I had W124 as daily driver, for long time ride was really bad and later I found that sway bar bracket crack the way very hard to notice with the car standing.
Still with W210, W211 I can let the steering wheel go and the cars will stay in the lane for at least 1/2 mile. With W124 you need to hold the wheel as car likes to make his own decisions.
29 years old W124 is still with my family and it is shame that bulletproof engine and tranny are coupled to deteriorating interior. Those diesels are not appreciated in CA, so very likely the car will end on junk yard, with perfectly running engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.