Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

95 e320 or 89 420sel??

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 ·
I'm going today to look at both, a 1995 e320 in excellent condition with less than 50k and a 1989 420sel with 70k also in excellent condition. They are both around $7000. It's been a while since I've owned a Mercedes, they were older but I loved them all. I know obviously the 420sel is a bigger car. I'm really wanting something to drive regularly, maybe 3-4 times a week on a commute and sometimes on 600mi road trips to visit our kids. Not sure what to ask other than I'd appreciate any input or ideas as to the qualities and differences of these 2 cars and in your opinions which might serve me better. Thanks

#2 ·
If they're comparably priced and in good condition, I'd go with the 89. After about 93 practically everything became computerized. It's just my personal opinion, but I'd rather have an older MB that I can work on myself than a newer one that having to take to a computer programmer will cost.
I now own my parents 89 560SEL, with 216,000 miles, and just replacing the older parts that will eventually go out (staying ahead of problems) has been a lot less expensive than when they have to take their newer E320 and CLK550 in when the computer tells them there's a malfunction somewhere.
Additionally, especially those that are in really good condition, like mine is from being kept in a garage and out of the elements, will begin appreciating from any work you do to it. I mean like any of the regular wear and tear parts. Where that 95 still has some depreciation, and won't ever appreciate any where near what the 89 will. Back in 89 they weren't using lighter material like they began doing after 90.
Regardless of which one you get, but especially if you go with the 89, I'd jump ahead of the game and at least buy parts that will go out...and mimic worse problems than they are. Just two that come to mind... $3 bushings to the shifter linkage to the transmission (an unscrupulous mechanic will tell you that your car isn't shifting because you need a new transmission when you don't). And, the $70 transmission vacuum modulator valve. When it goes bad it will suck ATF into your exhaust and look like you've blown a head gasket. Both are super easy DIY's.

#4 ·
I concur. The 126, at least in my opinion and from ratings, is the best chassis. It hugs and handles the road like cloud nine, especially on turns. I own an 89 560SEL, that's been in our family since 95. I'd rather spend the money on replacing wear and tear parts, myself, every month than waste my money on a car payment on a newer car. Not to mention the most important part...the safety.

#5 ·
Thanks for the input. Honestly I think I am leaning towards the 89. I've always loved the styling. I just wanted to see if there was something I may be overlooking. My last Benz was a 1993 190 le , of which I'm still kicking myself for trading it in on a Jeep. I'll try to post some pictures later today.

#9 ·
Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that. I wouldn't rush. I would just keep looking until the right one comes along. I'd hold out for an 87 to 89. I, personally, wouldn't go newer. But then I'm not most women. I do all my own maintenance and repair, so I love the simplicity of a real engine, not a computer. Thankfully, they've improved nails and gel polish, and there are gloves. :wink: Those were really good years. Bruno Sacco created the masterpiece in the 126 chassis. I'm just replacing parts a bit a time, and keeping him well maintained. They'll last forever when they're cared for. I know what you mean about regrets. Been there, and won't do it again.

#10 ·
Yes I was disappointed, but there will be others. I decided to not bother looking at the 95. According to the owner it is in pristine condition. The photos of it pretty much verify this, although I've been fooled by photos before. After getting some responses on here I realized my heart really is set on a late 80s model S series. I've never owned one and they have always been one of my all-time favorite car designs. It really is timeless. If I come across something I will definitely post it on here.

#11 ·
The 1995 might have the M104 which is a great engine that I have in my 1996 W210 car....however in the early 1990's Mercedes did have a problem with the main engine wiring harness on cars with the M104. I believe that by the end of the model run in 1995 the issue was fixed. The wiring harness would become brittle and the insulation would crack and the wires would short out on each other. I would check around a bit too see when this issue was resolved. I know by 1996 it was and I think it might have been a year or so earlier.

My dad had a 89 or 91 420SEL, that was a cool car. I felt like a VIP in the car....much better car a as a kid to ride around in the back seat if I must say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.