Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

CPO Vs NON CPO on 2012 E Class-350

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  STACK 
#1 ·
Hypothetically speaking wouldn't purchasing the non cpo be a better deal if the car is still within the extended limited warranty period as that would give you an opportunity to shop around different mercedes dealership offers for this superior warranty as opposed to purchasing the cpo and being stuck with the max 3 years/more expensive/less coverage cpo warranty?

Thinking about getting a used 2012 and just looking at my extended warranty options here!

I Notice the cpos are priced quite a bit higher and yet purchasing one automatically excludes you from getting the better warranty! It's almost like mercedes is punishing you for going with the cpo instead of shopping around for a used mercedes that is still eligible for elw purchase.:frown

#3 ·
2012 E350 CPO.

The standard warranty is 4 years or 50,000 miles starting at the date of purchase. Whatever comes first. My 2012 E is out of warranty. Not because of miles under 40,000 but because of years expired. Even though 2012 is out of the factory warranty you can always extend it if you so choose. You can buy one at any MB Dealer and it does not matter what state. A CPO car will always be priced much higher but it does offer piece of mind. I bought my 2012 from Fletcher Jones in California. You can find a non CPO MB pay much less. Use the savings for either repairs or buy a third party warranty from a company. Warranty Direct as a example.

#7 ·
The standard warranty is 4 years or 50,000 miles starting at the date of purchase. Whatever comes first. My 2012 E is out of warranty. Not because of miles under 40,000 but because of years expired. Even though 2012 is out of the factory warranty you can always extend it if you so choose. You can buy one at any MB Dealer and it does not matter what state. A CPO car will always be priced much higher but it does offer piece of mind. I bought my 2012 from Fletcher Jones in California. You can find a non CPO MB pay much less. Use the savings for either repairs or buy a third party warranty from a company. Warranty Direct as a example.
Have you had any previous experience with warranty direct? I hear mixed things about them and that the only really great mercedes warranties are either elw,cpo, or carmax. I ask because I'm considering a 2010-2012 E Class 550 and the used car dealership ones are substantially cheaper then either carmax or mercedes cpo. Just the airmatic suspension alone justifies a solid warranty for this vehicle.

#4 ·
Wouldn't purchasing a non cpo actually be better from a warranty perspective since it allows you the option of purchasing the extended mercedes factory warranty as opposed to an additional 2 years of cpo with it's limited coverage benefits? Assuming the vehicle in question is still within the eligible extended warranty period of course.

#6 ·
Ahh that's actually a great point, never thought of that! I was just looking at the mercedes website and under warranty options cpo and extended limited warranty ELW warranty is under the specific category as new car warranty which would pretty much leave any 2nd owner out the cold as far as a certified mercedes elw warranty is concerned. That explains a lot if true but hopefully someone else will chime in about this!

#8 ·
This is a great topic and I'm happy this question came up because I'd like to break it down for everyone. Rottingman, can you please supply us with the VIN number of the two options you're looking at?

I'll get all of the warranty information for you and also a breakdown of how everything works. I'll also give you my personal recommendation based on the data I get back from the VMI.

You're welcome to DM me, email me, or text me the VIN.

Email: chris@novibenz.com
Business Cell: 248.759.1247

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.