Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

A C Class is not a REAL Mercedes? What about the CLA?

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Benz-vettes 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 C300 Luxury with all the bells and whistles like the Nav with multimedia package, Burmester sound system, Panoramic roof, Blind spot monitors, etc. Since getting the car I have had people tell me a C class isnt a REAL mercedes and I should have spent more and gotten a base model E class instead of a fully decked out C. I had to give my car to Mercedes for service and they gave me a stripped E class sedan as a loaner. Other than the extra space I dont see anything special about this. Sound system isnt close to mine, no blind spot monitors either, no nav and you cant watch DVDs in it. Plus now the C, E and S all look the SAME except for their size. Where did this mentality come from that a C Class isnt a real mercedes? What about the CLA? is that considered "Real" ?

#4 ·
I am 32. No wife or kids and the only person who rides with me sometimes is my girlfriend when we go out. I like small, nimble cars that are somewhat fun to drive and easy to maneuver in traffic. If I could afford it I would get the C63 AMG S as my next car instead of a big car like the S class that will be driven by myself without any passengers 99 percent of the time.

#5 ·
Just a tip. If you want more money for cars stop leasing them. They are beating you silly on any return to you. You are renting a car for 3 years and at the end you have to lease again or buy the car.

If it were me I would look for a 2-3 year old CPO C63 and finance it. Even if you do not take the finance to the end you have least some cash equity in the car. When I worked for dealers the salesmen would go out and party hard after writing a lease. It is much more profit for them and nothing for you.

#7 ·
Don't agree. My pcp agreement enabled me to secure a considerable discount that was well in excess of that available for a cash purchase. To raise the cash I would have had taken a loss on cashing securities, lost the interest and dividends and would have been subject to capital gains tax. I also received a contribution of £760 and 3 years free servicing from Mercedes. After 3 years I can purchase the car for a fixed price or should I have a "Lemon", hand it in. Cash is no longer King!!!!!

#16 ·
Yes its real Mercedes, if I am in my W123 or looking like a baller in my W463 when I see any MB on the road I always look over at it and oggle over it. Plus pretty much of the same components go into all the the cars regardless of the model. The Class is a nice car and it is a bit more practical and easier to navigate in than a large S class. Enjoy your car and maintain it and you can have it for 30 years hopefully.

#17 ·
Leasing is clearly setup differently in the UK. The cars have a higher sticker price and depreciate faster than in the US.

I used to live in the St George's Hill part of Weybridge, Surrey and I remember my father getting the company he worked for to lease him a new Daimler Double Six every 2-3 years.
That was back in the early 1980s. So there obviously is a benefit in many cases for the person/company leasing.

I did not realize you were in the UK when I posted my leasing info. It was based on US lease plans and they are a terrible value.

#18 ·
I recently had an alignment and other services done to my 2000 E320 wagon at the local dealer. They gave me in return a CLA 4matic as a loaner. Overall it is a decent car but doesn't have the REAL Mercedes feel, fit and finish. The CLA was quick and handled decently on smooth roads but I was unimpressed with the ride quality. Every bump whether big or small, the car felt like it was going to fall apart. The Stereo was also unimpressive given it was a highly optioned model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.