Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Charger killed my battery?

643 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
2003 ML350

Left the ML connected to a Sears craftsman 1A charger for three weeks. Tried to start this morning and it won't crank. WTF! DVM says 9.8V, reconnected charger and it went to 12.8V. The only thing I can think of that may have happened is we did lose power for some time during that three weeks. Not sure for how long but the appliance clocks were all flashing. Is it possible the charger without power actually drained and damaged the battery?

#3 ·
The charger in question is a Die Hard Model # 71219

Sears.com

I unplugged the charger and then reconnect it. The battery charged up fine after several hours so no permanent damage occurred. I guess the power outage somehow stopped the charger from charging and the battery just drained from the parasitic draw of accessories.

#5 ·
From the owners manual linked on the description page.

"Aborted Charge
If charging can not be completed normally, charging will abort. When
charging aborts, the charger’s output is shut off and the CHECK
BATTERY (red) LED will blink. To reset after an aborted charge, unplug
the charger from the outlet, wait a few moments and plug it back in. "

Apparently the charger entered this "aborted charge mode". I guess I should have checked the charger status before disconnecting the first time.

#7 ·
I still think there is something badly wrong with the charger if it discharge the battery.
Manual would indicate the charger turning itself off when aborts the charge.
There is long way from off to killing the battery.
Beside I have computerized charger and it aborts the charge in cases when the clamping is dirty, or battery is really badly discharged -leading to too high charging voltage.
When I disconnect the power and reconnect it, the charger will stay off showing battery voltage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.