Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Expensive spark plugs

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Just been quoted on a full service for my 2002 w203 Elegance.
Had the car now for a week and absolutely loving it,except the quote for the service.....wait for it......Mechanic said $900 and $450 is just on spark plugs as he said there are 12 of them,so that's about $37 each,are they Gold Plated? ?
Seriously I knew that buying a Merc it wouldn't be cheap to Mantain but $450 just on spark plugs is a bit much,I've been looking on EBay and seeing much cheaper prices,I'm thinking of buying them and saying to him "Here you go,fit them" Please anyone have an idea on prices for these spark plugs and which ones to buy? My car has 99,000km's and drives ok,idling ain't the best,put injector cleaner and will only use Premium petrol,but I'd like to get the parts ready for the service but not at his prices,as I'm not funding his retirement.
Thanks Steve,Sydney,Australia.

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum.
As you discover - Mercedes is not the brand that will be cheap when you start taking them to stealerships.
We are bunch of DIY guys here and we drive those cars dirt cheap.
Spark plugs are not cheap, but occasionally you can get promotion.
I bough my set on sale at Amazon and I think they come to about $1 a piece.
It was about 1 hr job on my car for 12 of them, but some engines have harder access than other.
Still we have medical doctors doing spark changes as they don't make those hourly wages stealers are asking for.
Bottom line, if you consider DIY, we are all here to help.
Otherwise pay up. ;)
BTW just recently I discovered that mine plugs at 160,000 miles are likely factory plugs and car pass CA smog 2 months ago. So don't think you have to rush the job.

#3 ·
Get the NGK plugs at about $9 per plug. Bosch plugs are having issues which can just be googled to see how many are actually breaking.

Once you have the plugs the labor is no more than 2 hours by a tech with any MB experience.

Please do not get cheap plugs on eBay. There are many sellers that are selling "clone" plugs from China.

I listed the US price, but seeing as you are from "down under" and totally failed to fill in your car's info when filling out your profile when you signed up I can only offer you this link.
NGK Spark Plugs Australia

Yes all MB dealer parts are stupidly overpriced down under. Do not use dealer parts unless they are the only place to get them.

#4 · (Edited)
It's not gold that makes spark plugs expensive, it's platinum.

Bosch make 2 grades of plug for your Merc - Double platinum costing AU$28 each and Platinum Plus costing AU$8 each (6-pack for $48.90). Personally, I choose Platinum Plus because I can't justify spending $240 more on parts that do exactly the same job and last as long. (You can also get platinum-iridium for $22 each, but you don't need them.)

Both types are available directly from Bosch Australia via their online store, but I buy mine from Supercheap Auto when they're on special.

Check with your mechanic to see if he's happy to install parts you supply. If he isn't, get a new one. You might not get a warranty on parts he doesn't supply and fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.