Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rack & pinion fix 1 year anniversary

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Tyrone Williams 
#1 · (Edited)
So it has been one year almost since i fixed my rack & pinion by plugin the seal with JB weld epoxy only grey part no mixing. A old rack & pinion is made out of strong metal it could last over 30 years but the seal can't so why replace the whole part for $2000 when you can do it for $6. I made a youtube video a while back. . It works because time and testing has proven it. This video is only for those who has ran out of options except to buy a new part. My leak was so bad i would go through a bottle of 1 QT steering fluid in two days now i don't ever fill it up. I could be rich if i could market this right. i used Lucas stop leak first it just leaked out like water. I will be making an updated version video on You Tube soon.

Attachments

See less See more
1 1
#2 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing and I really appreciate the feedback.
But bare in mind that commercial forums are not made to save the owners money and I doubt you will gain much popularity.
I did experiment with removal of engine fan and regardless proving my point for 4 years in 114F weather the "dark forum forces" will still try to brainwash members over it.
I was researching the rack "rebuild" issue and it is tricky subject.
Lot of shops offer "rebuild" when couple of new seals and fresh coat of paint will cost you in excess of $500.
Than friendly dealer salesman informed me that MB "rebuilds" are in fact new racks and the reason why MB sells them as rebuild is to remove cores from the aftermarket.

#4 ·
I found this by accident needed something that does not react with oil and sticks like napalm & that is what the resin does it never hardens and clogs the seals & the best part is you just have to rub it on and when you turn the wheels the resin goes inside the rack and well science does the rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.