Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Thinking of buying...help!

977 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BlueBenzCLK 
#1 ·
Okay, so I found a 2003 C320 Coupe I really like for $5500. The dealer said there was nothing wrong with it, but I had it inspected and they found bad ball joints, a $675 repair. Also, the SRS light was on and nobody knows why (how much would a dealer charge to look at that?). Nothing else was wrong. Anyway, I was wondering if you guys would still buy it. The guy who inspected it said this wasn't really common at 55000 miles, and he couldn't tell if the car would cause me problems down the road or not. I thought the engine sounded great, it had the panoramic sunroof, and a good amount of cargo space (which I do need). So, I really liked it. If the ball joints need to be replaced at 55000 miles, do you think this might be indicative of not being a good car?

#2 ·
I run whole fleet of MB for myself and my family, some of them reaching 300,000 miles and yet have to find bad ball joint.
Just did my first in life arm bushing replacement on MB with 160k, but that is hydro bushing what has shorter life.
Since you posted in General section, I am giving general brand opinion.
MB works for me and since I discovered that fact almost 20 years ago, I have not bought other brand car for anybody in my family.
For model-specific question go to model section. Menu on first forum page.
Good luck with your choice.

#3 ·
I'd walk away fast. At $5500 you should be able to find a C320 coupe without pricey issues. SRS light can be a simple clear code, simple spray WD40 in the seat belt, fix a wire under the seat, or could be very expensive.

Check out other cars. Mercedes is a great brand and the 320 engine of that year should be reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.