Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Lost one and only key

784 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 ·
Help. Lost my only key--think someone might have picked it up in a parking lot. Towed home. How do I get a new key. Can my husband go and get it, I'm scheduled for a business trip and won't be home. :confused::(

#2 ·
Call local dealers and ask what it takes.
Usually key can be overnight from Texas, but some dealers want to see the car, meaning another towing, or pay for technician to come to your location.
This ways, or the other you are in the mercy of dealers.
Since you lost other key on parking lot- I would spend extra money to have it deleted from car memory.

#4 ·
As Kajtek pointed out your are really at the mercy of the dealer. In same states like mine the state is mandating that the key is handled by the dealer as car thefts have increased at an alarming level.

I know they are not cheap, but I would really consider getting two keys. It is an unwanted expense, but even after programming it could be cheaper than a long distance one way tow.
At this point the car is stuck until at least Tuesday. Also as suggested by Kajtek it would be a good idea to have the lost key deleted from the car's drive authorization system.

#5 ·
Thank you. What state are you in? Does anyone know about Massachusetts, North Shore area? I've had to cancel my trip and deal with this on Monday and hoping I can get it straightened out without towing it 25 miles away. I'm crossing my fingers, but I am indeed at their mercy!

#6 ·
I am in Wisconsin. Used to live in Brookline, MA on Buckminster Rd as a toddler. I have at least 25 relatives living in and around the greater Boston area.
All that being said I have no idea what the MA DOT rules are on smart keys.

Obviously if this was an 86 Chevy a good locksmith could cut a key by hand. I am sorry you are stuck in this pickle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.