Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What is a Tourist Price?

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
First time posting to the forum. I am from Oakville, Ontario Canada.

I just got a quote for the 2016 c300d wagon with MSRP of $46,800.00 CAN.
Underneath the quote is a "Tourist Price" for $41,580.00 CAN. As you can see, there's a huge price difference.

I did some homework on this - but there is not a lot of information on the web on the topic of Tourist Price.

First of all, what is a Tourist price? Is it actually worth it on opting for this option when I purchase my new car? Are you saving a lot by opting for this option?

One advantage for sure is getting to drive my new car on the AutoBahn and my understanding is once good to go, Mercedes Canada will facilitate shipping my car back locally.

I'm going to Europe this Spring and I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to participate with this "Tourist Price".

Anybody knows? I greatly appreciate your response. Thank you.

See less See more
#4 ·
My first guess would be the price is not including some taxes if you are taking the car out of province.
The same deal applies to European delivery, when you can buy the car, have nice vacation in Europe, seeing your car rolling out of assembly line (if you are lucky) and save money in the process.
Beware about salesmen practice. I am shopping around for new Ford truck and my impression is that most salesmen are 5th grade drop-outs taking coning classes instead.
The internet listings are flooded with errors and whole process is focus on luring you into their office and sell you a car from the lot.

#9 ·
VAT is a good guess, except Canadian taxes are never included in the sticker price, except for gasoline at the pump.

The "tourist price" + 12.5% gives the sticker price, and Ontario's provincial sales tax("blended sales tax") is 13%. GST (our federal "VAT") is 5%, so I can't see what it has to do with either one. The dealer here does not show the second "tourist" price on the sticker.

#8 ·
Not me. So far all my MB have come from Alabama. I had a choice, either pay the Mississippi sales tax or not get a MS tag. VAT is the never-ending sales tax is it not? Isn't it applied to every step in the production of an item until it is sold to the final customer.

#10 ·
Found it...

The MB dealer in Etobicoke ON has this on the website:

"The “Tourist Price” is the price paid for our European delivery program where you pick up your vehicle from our factory and have the opportunity to drive your new Mercedes-Benz on the autobahn. At the conclusion of your trip we will arrange to ship your vehicle back to a Canadian dealership for licensing and registration at home."

https://edwardmbcars.wordpress.com/2014/07/17/what-is-the-tourist-price/

Whew! Though maybe I should be buying more cars in Ontario!

#11 ·
The European delivery is available all over US and I assume all over Canada as well.
I was exploring the option, but the only new MB we bought come from Alabama.
The deal on European delivery is not about not paying the taxes, but converting the vehicle from new to used one, what puts it in lower tax bracket.
Check the fine print as there is mileage/km limit you have to meet.
Meaning 2 days even on autobahn might not give you 2500 miles.
But than....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.