Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Why MB refuses to sell A class in U.S.?

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
This does not make sense i think because they are so cheap the MB dealer doesn't want to sell them.

Mercedes-Benz A Class 1.7 A170 Avantgarde SE 5dr
2007 (07 reg) Hatchback
BLACK, Avantgarde SE model, , MOT 10/08/2016,, 2 Former Keeper, , Hpi Clear With Certificate, , Last Serviced 03/08/15 at 66k miles, ,, , Half Leather interior, ,, 4 Electric Windows, …
70,000 miles
Manual
1.7L
Petrol
£3,690

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Mercedes-Benz A Class Diesel Hatchback A180 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY AMG Sport 5dr 1.5
2014 (64 reg) Hatchback
Service History, SAVE £5986 off new list price, Cruise Control, Air Conditioning, 1/2 Leather Trim, Bluetooth, 18 inch Wheels, Alloy Wheels, Metallic paint, …
15,768 miles
Manual
1.5L
Diesel
£17,999

Attachments

#11 ·
Beside MB USA trying to keep image of the brand as luxury cars, there is some politics involved.
I run into Canadian who is snowbirding in California and would be happy to sell me his 60 mpg Smart car with diesel engine.
The cars are US approved and lot of them on the roads, but US doesn't want 60 mpg diesels here, so I would not be able to cut the red tape.

#12 ·
That is just a an opinion and has no fact to back it up.

To this day there are still tax credits for hybrids and full EV vehicles in many states and until last year there were federal tax credits for both.

The smart cars that get 60mpg are rated on the Imperial Gallon(basically a 5 quart US gallon), not the US gallon which knocks them right back down to under 50 mpg.

#13 ·
Just like any fuel topic, we can go forever with not only opinions, but actual records.
I can take any of our cars and have mpg different by 300%.
It is all about speed and technique.
One of American Smart cdi owners reports over 65 mpg on his commute.
I don't care if with my heavy foot I will make only 55.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.