Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

300 D (1987) used as a tow car!

681 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Andreas290 TDT 
#1 ·
Hello all...
I've been using my 1987 300 D to pull a vintage (1 ton) trailer. So far so good, but the engine runs hot when I take it up hill. I've heard that my car is rated for towing as such but wondering if anyone here has any feedback for me. I've heard there is something I can do to help with the overheating (but I'm forgetting what something is) Ideas, options, etc... Anyone discourage use of the car for this purpose?
Thank you!
Benzylady:nerd

#2 ·
Change the fluids to full synthetic and that should help the car run cooler. Better lubricity and new fluid would reduce friction and make it quieter. Coolant flush and upgrade can assist heat transfer by cleaning out the calcium and increasing flow. New filters will clean things up.

Reactions: Andreas290 TDT
#3 · (Edited)
Sounds a bit like a dirt problem between the AC heat exchanger and the radiator.
The road dirt,dead insects,dried leafes get stuck there..

The radiator is quite easy to remove,flush it with a garden hose,from the inside to the outside.Maybe use a mild dishwashing to soak it for a while,letting all the hardened dead insects getting a bit soft.

If the radiator feels heavy somehow - it could be stuck with limestone,get some cleaner used in coffee makers.It will remove it ;)

Do the same with the AC heat exchanger,from inside the engine room to the outside.Leave it inside the car,just flush it very good !

An other source of trouble could be your water pump.
The cheaper replacement ones have the pump wheel shrunk on the shaft inside the pump,it comes lose quite often.

If you don`t know what waterpump ist fit in your car - a new waterpump would be best,but don`t buy a no name,use febi or SKF.

And don`t worry about pulling a trailer,with a fully working coolant-system - no problem. I found an old pic from a few yrs ago...2,5 ton behind my 300TD non Turbo ! Drove about 450 kms from northern Denmark to here with it,the temperature gauge was around 100°C all the time ! (AC off !!)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.