Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Buying a used MB with damage history

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  redghost 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm in the market for a used GLK350 and have found one that is of interest: a 2011 with 26000kms (16000 miles). It's for sale by a Kia Dealership who purchased it directly from MB Canada when it came off lease from the original buyer. It looks like its in great shape, certainly low mileage for its age but there's a caveat: on the CarProof report it shows damage totaling $8500CDN from 2013 when it had 13000kms on it. It describes the damage as "Right-Rear Corner". Should this be a deal breaker for me?

Obviously if I need to re-sell it then it's a liability and if there's frame damage etc and the vehicle is prone to needing repairs often then I could end up with a very expensive lemon (the worst kind). But on the other hand I know that body places tend to inflate the costs when it's an insurance claim and MB parts don't come cheap. Am I totally stupid to even be considering this or could I potentially be able to leverage this into a good price on an otherwise fine vehicle?

Curious to know the thoughts of some knowledgeable MB owners.

#2 ·
Hi matto, do you know if the repair was done by mercedes themselves, or by a body shop? I know when i purchased my E-class that it had been in an accident and that it was repaired by mercedes, but if the car was fixed correctly and there was no frame damage, i see no problem in purchasing the car. By the way have you ever considered getting a CLS, those cars are drop dead gorgeous and extremely fast, you can get an AMG version for about the same price as the GLK, but your looking at a GLK for a reason so...:grin nevermind.

#4 ·
The CLS is definitely a beauty but where I live in Northern Ontario I'm looking to make the switch to a crossover/suv for a few reasons most of which is winter driving.

I'm not sure where the repairs where done which is the gamble I guess.

Cheers

#5 ·
Well if you said it is from a KIA dealership that bought off of mercedes then there is a chance that it was repaired by mercedes, asking a lot of questions is your friend in this situation. If you plan to drop by the dealer and take a look at the car just ask the guy a ton of questions, also ask for the service history and if you want to take it a step further you could call that mercedes dealer and give them the VIN to see what they did for the car, other than all of that if the car looks clean and drives well i would say its a good deal, if the car is a little bit cheaper than other ones out there. The way i found out my car was repaired by mercedes was finding a sticker on the inside of the door well which said something like repaired up to the standards of mercedes benz, hope this helped, good luck.:grin

#7 ·
Haggle the price down. Lots!

The repair sounds reasonable for simple body work. If the shop that did the work is the one the dealer sends his cars to, then you are golden. I take my cars to that shop since they have all the factory hardware that the dealer does not. Most dealers are not able to handle body work, since it takes too long to turn around.

Dealership sold it on since it would not meet the CPO requirements on their floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.