post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Warranty Coverage Question - First Time Buyer

Hello everyone,

I've decided that I'd like to own either a GLK-350-W4 or a Volvo XC60. Volvo's warranty does not seem as generous new, pre-owned seems better there. Now Mercedes warranty if I am correctly understanding it seem quite impressive. I'm looking at pre-owned with 13k (2014) with a warranty that expires in 2019, I can extend to 2021 for a reasonable (seems so anyway) fee. The sales person tells me the warranty is time based on not mileage based. So unlimited miles while in the coverage range.

I was told that the warranty is bumper to bumper on it with exception for wear items (trim, break pads etc.). I even sat down with the service manager to talk about cost of service, general repairs and required maint. costs.

My questions are these:

Covered and Not Covered:
Subaru was able to give me a list of covered and not covered items when I was buying from them 8years ago. Does Mercedes have a list like this? The service manager didn't seem to be able to say.

Understanding:
Am I really understanding this warranty correctly? Just drive the SUV, and if anything breaks (that's not on the 'we don't cover' list - where ever that is) is fixed no $$ needed? Or am I paying for labor but not parts? It seems too good to be true.

Schedules:
I saw something here about Schedule A and B maint, but the sales person nor the service manager ever used these terms?

Thank you for your time and thoughts everyone.

-B

this here. The following link post can be deleted, I didn't seem to have rights to do so to clean up. Thanks!
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/x204...l#post13496385
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
So I found this: (I know... Google.. right?)
Certified Pre-Owned Luxury Cars and Vehicles | Mercedes-Benz

Open all the sections and the details are there.

I see a lot of, "Coverage of most of the vehicle's ... "

Anyone had unreasonable experiences with 'most'?

And for anyone reading this in the future, unlimited mileage is only on Pre-Certified and until Jan 15, 2015.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 06:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2008 E320 Bluetec, 1988 560SL totalled unto death). 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, 1983 300CD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Garage
This is opinion

Once you agree on and understand the basic terms, any warranty is only as good as the dealership executing it. If the dealer was not able to explain things to your satisfaction, I would shop another dealer if there is one in your area.

We have purchased one brand-new 2008 Benz from McGeorge MB in Richmond VA and it has been a very positive experience. I would expect it to be the same if we had purchased a CPI car from them. The internet and this forum in particular however is full of warranty horror stories, particularly on CPI cars.

I know this does not answer your basic question but my opinion is that once you have made your choice, and I think the Benz is the best choice, then shop for the dealer that offers the greatest confidence in followup. If you are really in the Denver area there should be more than one.

One more thing, reject suggestions of an aftermarket warranty. Also, I don't know this for sure but it is possible that an MB-backed CPI warranty may be able to have coverage negotiated.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 06:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
A and B services are oil changes and services. You can ask the service department how much they charge for each. If you scroll through the menu on the vehicle, it will tell you how many miles to the next service.

Mike
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 03:42 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2015
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
There is a printout of what's covered not covered. On my 2013 Glk I think a tune up, brake pads - rotors, and struts are about all that's not covered, yea it better cover labor, get it in writing , they have it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 04:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Used car warranty that gives you 6 years, unlimited miles for reasonable price?
Tell us more?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 05:27 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2015
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What can I say, I'm just thinking, knowing the complex electronics controlling everything , that a few trips to Mb for repairs might cover the cost of the policy. These vehicles are full of sensors and electronic controls, monitoring and controlling everything. Repair costs are not cheap. My feeling is I'd hate to own a mb out of warranty. 20 - 30 years ago things were not so complex. If you don't have a warranty , I think many problems you would still end up going to a dealer to fix, it's just that complicated. So you would pay the dealers high repair price. For me it's piece of mind and a benefit for when I sell.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thank you everyone for your replies I appreciate it.

Well I bought it. The final details
GLK350 - 13.2KMiles
Unlimited Mileage Warranty until 2021 (This is in writing. New car coverage till '19 then extended.)
2x A and 2x B services, glass replacement, tire/wheel/rim replacement.
Good price - I didn't see to get the labor in writing in time though

The unlimited mileage program ran until Jan 15, 2014 so it carried over on this.

So it's my first Benz and I have to say I dig it. I came over from a Subaru Forester '07. The GLK rides amazing, and is just plain nice. I'm used to the Forester high visibility so not being able to see everything is a challenge but I'll get it. Right now I have to say I'm a little overwhelmed by all the controls. I prefer my video games more one joy stick and a button, so this.. uh. I'll remember it all in time.

What I love most is that I can photo road trip it every weekend and not sweat the miles, I had to do that with the Forester as it got close to 100k warranty.

Thanks again!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 04:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Congratulations. Enjoy your new Mercedes.

Mike
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 09:22 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2011 SLK300 Plutonium Silver (2002 SLK230 Sold)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Enjoy your Benz and happy travel's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in