BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: two 1984 190Ds
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Vickers power steering pump (1984 190) new seal install

Application: 1984 Mercedes 190D, power steering pump requires new seal - it is seeping power steering fluid at the front seal behind the drive pulley

I am seeking guidance on how to dissemble and access the front seal on either Vickers or ZF pumps, as I have both pumps in my extra parts collection.

I have the back plate off the Vickers (photo), and presume that the shaft and flange (marked with red arrow), which the drive pulley attaches to, and which the leaking seal is behind, must be released from inside the pump somehow.

It appears that the flange and shaft must be pulled out of the pump in order to access the seal.

Can anyone whom has completed the new seal install on the vickers or ZF pumps advise how to remove the front flange and thereby access the front seal and remove it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power s pump 3.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1672753  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: two 1984 190Ds
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
More on Vickers Power steering pump seal replacement

I am replying to my own original post with more information, in hope that it might help anyone else dealing with a power steering pump reseal.

The seal kits are readily available at Arizona Autohaus and other suppliers for under $10, which makes resealing, rather than replacing, an attractive option.

The online searches I've conducted here and in other forums have not addressed the idiosyncrasies of the four power steering pumps (Vickers and ZF models), I have for my 1984 190 diesels. Some members have provided excellent narratives with photos on resealing their pumps, but those contributions pertain to power steering pumps that were evidently much easier to reseal. Earlier Vickers pumps for example had a V belt pulley with a key on the shaft - once the pulley is removed, then access to the front seal is readily available. Other Vickers pumps are bolted together into two sections and can be split apart. In this dis-assembly a locking nut that holds the shaft and flange in the pump body can be accessed and the shaft and flange can be removed, and thus the front seal can be replaced.

On the four power steering pumps I have, however, the pump body is one molded unit that cannot be split apart, and they all have the drive shaft with flange permanently affixed to it. Hence, the flange and shaft that the seal is behind, must be somehow released from inside the pump. What I'm unaware of thus far is how to remove the internal components of the pump and release the flange and shaft so as it can be pulled out and the seal can be accessed.

I include a photo of the back side of the power steering pump with the plate off. I've attempted to pull out the internal components that would cover the end of the drive shaft, but they are not budging.

There is a hole in the side of the pump with a screw-in plug. I removed this plug thinking there may be a release mechanism inside the hole, yet did not identify any.

Although it's possible to buy a remanufactured Cardone power steering pump for $78 at rock auto, I am much hoping I can simply re-seal a couple of the four pumps I already have for under $10 each, as they are only seeping a little.

It is perhaps worthwhile to mention there tends to be a little bit of play or looseness in the pulley drive-shaft on all these PS pumps. I've owned Mercedes 190 D's for over 20 years, and I've always discovered this play to be evident in the pump drive-shafts. From my extensive experience with the 190 D cars, I made the determination that the serpentine belts are typically too tight or are tighter than required, and this places undue stress on the bearings and bushings in the alternator, air-conditioning compressor pump, and the power steering pump, as well as the pulley on the belt-tension-er. In a couple of instances, for example, I had the belt tension-er pulley seize up and fly off during operation. Therefore, I make this suggested simple modification, which I implemented, I believe with good success. Make an extension of the belt tension-er spring, so it takes a bit of the pressure off the serpentine belt, and thus prolongs the life of all the driven components. Simply take a S hook, beed it approximately 40°, and connect it between the tension-er frame and the existing spring, so as the pressure is significantly less. Even with a high load on the alternator, the AC air compressor on, and with maximum pressure on the power steering pump, the belt is still plenty tight and does not slip.

Please be encouraged to offer any suggestions, even unproven theories are appreciated, on how I can disassemble my Vickers power steering pumps so as I can replace the seals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power s pump 2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1673337  
Noodles likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in