post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2015
Vehicle: C300 Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First Mercedes! 2013 C300

My first Mercedes. Traded a Jeep Cherokee in. Had to put more money down than I wanted to, but it worked out in the end. When I got to the dealer and we were talking about the deal they basically told me no: can't do it. Then they tried to get me into a Kia Optima hybrid. Quite a letdown. I thought for a few minutes until I hit myself in the head and said I'm here for a Mercedes. If you can't make a deal you can't make a deal. No worries and I'll just drive back home in my jeep. They asked me to wait for a little bit and then came back. They moved a little on the price and so I moved a little bit on what I could put down. In the end we were both happy.

Love the drive. Not seeing the fuel issues that I've seen others report. This had 18,000 miles on it with an average of 28MPG over 15,000 miles (apparently they reset it after 3000M). 28MPG is pretty darn good considering that's a combination of highway and city driving.

Had a MAJOR scare while stopped at an intersection. All of the sudden the RPMs dropped to zero. I tried to start the car, but it wouldn't. I turned it off, put it in park, and finally got it going again. Thought I had bought a lemon! Then I realized that was the engine going into save-gas mode. It didn't go off at all. Oh well - learned something.

Only real issue I have is that I cannot get the navigation system sound to work. The speaker on the display has an X through it and I don't know how to move the selector to that icon. When I turn or move the dial it moves the map around.

Also, when I connect my iPhone to the car it will not play music. I can see the song that it is trying to play on the display and it is ticking along, but no sound. When I use my Android phone the sound comes through just fine. Trouble is almost all of my music is on the iPhone, plus that's my work phone so I need to keep it connected (score for UConnect was that I could connect one for audio and one for phone in the Jeep). Both were connected with BT. iPhone calls come through the speakers normally.

It takes some getting used to climbing down into a car instead of up into it. Yet once I'm in there it is very comfortable. My GF and I took a 100M drive yesterday and felt no worse for wear afterward. Amusing was that after around 2 hours of driving I got a message to pull over and take a break

Oh! Also had trouble finding the cruise control. In fact I was about to assume MB's don't have cruise until I came across it.

I realize that the C300 is more of an entry level MB and doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles, however I like it a whole lot. These issues I declared are trivial when compared to the drive, comfort, and handling of the car itself.

Only real issue is how to get the Kia dealer decal sticker off the back without scratching the car!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11695831_10206981930165080_8087075812214497800_n.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1563033  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 08:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Congratulations on your first Mercedes and welcome to Benzworld.

Mike
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 07:34 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2011 SLK300 Plutonium Silver (2002 SLK230 Sold)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nice, enjoy the ride....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet 2003 S500 4Matic 2004 S55 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Welcome. Buying the C300 requires no apology. It's a great place to start, good gas mileage , reasonably priced parts and relatively reasonably priced servicing costs. In boating we call it footitis, I don't know what to call it relating to Mercedes. But it's the bug that makes you want to try an AMG or S class or some other silly expensive decision. Enjoy your experience with the car. You will be far better experienced if you happen to fall into the Mercedes equivilent of "Footitis".
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 10:24 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 C240, 2004 E320,2007 C280
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Of course they wanted to get you in a Kia at a Kia dealership. Glad you got the Benz though instead.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 07:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Khav View Post
Of course they wanted to get you in a Kia at a Kia dealership. Glad you got the Benz though instead.
There was an article in Excellence Magazine or Panorama some time back about a guy who bought a Porsche 911 from a Kia dealership. Someone traded it in for a Kia! If I remember correctly, the Porsche served the new owner for years and now if worth way more than he paid.

I guess you never know what you are going to find where.

Mike
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pillay View Post
There was an article in Excellence Magazine or Panorama some time back about a guy who bought a Porsche 911 from a Kia dealership. Someone traded it in for a Kia! If I remember correctly, the Porsche served the new owner for years and now if worth way more than he paid.

I guess you never know what you are going to find where.
Sometimes I guess people just need the money. He may not have been able to afford the payments or the maintenance on it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Khav View Post
They were closer to getting me into the KIA than I like. I was actually considering it for a few minutes until I thought - my Cherokee is fine. I don't need a new car; I want a Mercedes. Then we were able to work something out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in