LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy IS my SL a lemon? I need your advices guyes

Hi guys, this is the first post of mine and I didn't expect it could be about a lemon SL.

I bought a new 2016 sl400 yesterday, after leaving the dealer, the engine of my new sl stall 2 times in 3 miles. And till now, I dived it for about 50 miles, and it stall 6 times...

By saying stall, I mean while I am standing at traffic, the car can not move forward after i release the brake. The engine totally stopped and can not be started like in eco mode. I need to restart the engine by pushing the start button. And usually the first push bring the car to N gear, then I have to change to D gear.

MY question, is that is this problem a normally problem for new car? Or this could be something serious?

And I have my car in the service department of the dealer now, will this record be a problem that hurts the resale value of my car?

Can I ask the dealer to replace a new car for me? Since this problem happens just so early when i only drive 3 miles.

I am very nervous now. This experience totally ruin my joy of having a new car...

Many thanks for you help.
BTW I live in New York.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 01:02 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
NY Lemon Law

New Car Lemon Law

You can't believe it. The new car you bought makes an atrocious knocking noise when you drive it, and the dealer's mechanic can't seem to find the problem. Do you have to just bite the bullet and buy a lifetime supply of earplugs?

Fortunately, you do have recourse. New York has laws to protect you in case a dealer sells you a "lemon"―a car that is unsafe, inefficient, or riddled with defects.

New York's New Car Lemon Law compels the manufacturer of such a car to make the necessary repairs (usually through the dealer that sold it), refund your money, or replace the vehicle. The law is limited to cars used primarily for personal use and does not cover motorcycles, ATVs, or the living quarters of an RV. A car is covered under the New Car Lemon Law if all of the following apply:

It was covered under a manufacturer's warranty when it was originally delivered to its first buyer.
It was bought, leased, or transferred in the state of New York within the vehicle's first 18,000 miles or 2 years from original delivery (whichever is earlier).
It's registered in New York.

Notice that a vehicle with up to 18,000 miles on it may still be covered under the New Car Lemon Law.

New York also has a Used Car Lemon Law for cars older than that or with more miles under their tires. Under the Used Car Lemon Law, vehicles that come from a dealer must have a warranty if they cost $1,500 or more and have been driven fewer than 100,000 miles.
Ask a Lemon Law Attorney

Got a complex question and need a little help? Ask a paid expert today. 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
New Car Lemon Law

This law gives the consumer the right to receive the necessary repairs free if the problem is covered under the new-car warranty and is reported within 2 years of delivery or before it passes 18,000 miles.

If the dealer can't fix the defect after 4 attempts, or if you haven't been able to drive the car for 30 days or more because of the issue, you are then entitled to either a replacement vehicle or a refund of your purchase price―your choice.

The defect must also substantially impair the value of the vehicle to the consumer to qualify under this law. If you opt for a refund, the manufacturer may adjust the amount based on how many miles of service you did get from the car.

This law covers leased vehicles as well; you're entitled to a refund of the down payment plus the lease payments you made, minus any service fees charged as part of the lease agreement.
What If a Dealer Refuses to Repair the Car?

Once you notify the dealer who sold you the car about the car's defects, they should make the needed repairs. If they refuse, after 7 days you can notify the manufacturer of the car (in writing, sent via certified mail) of the dealer's refusal.

At that point, the manufacturer has 20 days to begin the necessary repairs. If the defect is not fixed, or the manufacturer also refuses, you are then entitled to a replacement of your vehicle or a refund of the purchase price.
The link is here.
New York Lemon Laws - Lemon Law Attorneys | DMV.org
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
many thanks for the reply noodles.

DO you think that I can ask the dealer to replace/ reorder a new car? Or that I need wait till they spend 30 days on repairing the car in order to use the lemon law? I just drive the sl home and then directly to the dealer, and I really feel bad about that car now..
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 01:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: toys: 92 400e,92 300CE & 93 400SEL with daily driver:12 Civic, Workhorse: 15 F150 & Porsche 944
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to oefvetw124lover Send a message via Yahoo to oefvetw124lover
dont feel bad about the car.
feel bad that you had to go through all this drama
you worked hard to get the car. the car should be good to go.
its a 2016=- it should be PERFECT !
show no mercy, get the car replaced.

Carl

Veteran
Albany, NY, USA

92 300ce and others
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night
because rough men stand ready
to do violence on their behalf."

Si vis pacem, para bellum
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Many thanks for the reply noodles.

Since I just drove the car back home and then directly to the dealer's service department. Can I in this case ask the dealer to replace/ reorder a new car the same as mine?

Or as quoted in your lemon law description, I need to wait till either they spend 30 days or 3 times repairing the car, then use the lemon law?

I am a little bit scared about my car now, I just want to good sl without this problem which might happen again some time in the future ..

many thanks ...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 01:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: toys: 92 400e,92 300CE & 93 400SEL with daily driver:12 Civic, Workhorse: 15 F150 & Porsche 944
Garage
Send a message via AIM to oefvetw124lover Send a message via Yahoo to oefvetw124lover
but the car is a 2016 !
why can they give you another one while they repair yours- or give you another one PERIOD ?
where did you get the car (Mercedes of Manhattan ) ?

Carl

Veteran
Albany, NY, USA

92 300ce and others

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oefvetw124lover View Post
dont feel bad about the car.
feel bad that you had to go through all this drama
you worked hard to get the car. the car should be good to go.
its a 2016=- it should be PERFECT !
show no mercy, get the car replaced.

Thanks a lot oefvetw124lover, I did wait really a few months to get the car. And never imagined that the story could be like this...

Do you have some advices on how to discuss replacement with the dealer? I never have such issue before, and the dealer clearly are much experienced on this issue than me... I really have no clue what if my request to replace the car get refused...

many thanks oefvetw124lover
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 01:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Garage
Al

you must demand a replacement for the car- do not be passive nor submissive.

you are the consumer- you have the upper hand.

Tell them that you are very disappointed and the car and will never purchase a car from that dealership again unless this problem is rectified.

don't talk to a salesman, talk to a manager.

be firm and professional and they will take care of you.

thats my approach.

Carl

Veteran
Albany, NY, USA

92 300ce and others

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oefvetw124lover View Post
but the car is a 2016 !
why can they give you another one while they repair yours- or give you another one PERIOD ?
where did you get the car (Mercedes of Manhattan ) ?
They give me a E350 Loaner car, and the dealer is not mbmanhattan. the dealer is mb white plains. They are really helpful in the purchasing process. And the sales representatives are very nice, but I don't know if they will be still very nice if I want to replace the car ...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 01:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Garage
be firm Al
no mercy
remember, you earned this car.
and at 85K MSRP- they should take care of you !

Carl

Veteran
Albany, NY, USA

92 300ce and others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in