Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 1987 260 E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Repairing/replacing Original Becker Radio... with another Becker radio
So my car (1987 260E, no alarm) has the original Becker Grand Prix radio in it. It worked up until maybe 2008, when I was told that it was draining the battery, so they (The shop I take it to) disconnected the radio. I would like to have a radio in the car, but I would like another Becker radio like what the car came with. I just think they're really cool, and I'm very much into keeping the car looking as stock as possible.
The guy I take my car to does not work on radios, and the shop he recommends, of course, wants me to put in a new updated system with 900 LEDs in it.
I have quite a few questions, so I guess I'll just list them.
1. Regardless of what I decide to do, the radio has to be taken out. How hard is it to remove the radio? (For reference, the only work I do on the car is changing real tail lamp bulbs, and adding oil/anti-freeze. Never tried anything else)
2. How hard would it be for me to put another radio back in? I imagine it would be fairly simple since I'd be putting in a radio identical (if not nearly identical) to the one the car came with. (i.e. is it plug and play?)
3. Has anyone sent their radio to NJ to be repaired? Is it worth the $100?
4. Where else would be a good place to get another Becker radio? I see them on eBay fairly often as "refurbished".
5. (Atlanta area specific question) Anyone know of anyone local that can help me out?
Facts that should be noted: The antenna fell off the car (I still have it somewhere...) but the radio still worked without it, it was just static-y. (Which is fine, I'll mostly be using my iPod anyway)
I have no clue how they "disconnected" the radio. I'm taking the car to him soon, so I'll try to remember to ask.
My interior front dome light, the hazard button, and the "you left your key in the ignition" buzzer do not work. I put a fuse in there and it sparked, another one blew. I think I read somewhere that this was the same fuse as the radio, is this true?
The clock doesn't work, and it hasn't as long as I can remember (The car has been in my family since new.) Does this have anything to do with the radio?
Thanks for any help. Hopefully I provided enough information. Anything else you need to know, feel free to ask.