Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Self-cancelling turn signal

892 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ejboyd5 
#1 ·
My CLK has an annoying little issue. It is minor, but irritating nonetheless. With the steering wheel positioned "straight ahead", the right turn signal lever will not stay engaged and I have to hold it in place to keep the signal flashing. If the wheel is turned even slightly off dead center, the lever remains engaged and the signal works properly. The left works fine. I'm convinced it has something to do with the self-cancelling feature of all turn signals but I have no idea how to remove the steering wheel to check for the mechanics of all this. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks

#3 ·
CLK is a 2004. I loved the 190 SL also but I wasn't using it so I sold it to a collector in Atlanta and bought the CLK. My daughter told me I had to have a 4 passenger car or she would not let her kids ride with me. What's a guy gonna do????

#5 ·
This is not an unusual problem with the CLKs. The turn signal mechanism seems to be prone to a number of wear out problems, i.e., the unit will function but in a poor approximation of its original function. As Flyboy says to replace the signal arm mechanism is not a simple 5 or 10 minute job.

#6 ·
Some time in the life of the car ,its had work on the steering parts ie arms or ball joints then the garage as tracked it up with the steering wheel in the wrong place ,just say off centre .So you put the turn signal on but its on the cancel possition .When you turn the wheel , as you say , for it to stay on and it will , it is saying to me that its not broken.You will find this out after you remove it. This was my problem after a front end rebuild on my W123 .The garage should lock the steering wheel in the dead ahead possition ,and they did not.. A good .tyre company will put it right for you .Just check youself .With the car tyres in dead centre ,as if your going in a straight line . Then come and look at your steering wheel ,where is that pointing. If i am right it is off set to the left or might be pointing to the right . Should be in the centre..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.