post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 06:48 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Dec 2014
Vehicle: AMG C63
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
I've been doing a business at high-end property where older lady pulled up steep driveway into the garage.
Later on she backed out the garage and in front of it put the car on P.
The weight of the car locked the transmission latch and the lady could not put it in R nor D. Other household member come over to help her, lean in open door and push the lever. The car jumped down the driveway onto the cross street with the guy still leaning in the door.
The result:
One death, one badly hurt.
Slim chance that would happen would they backed up the garage.
Freak accident
You could find scenarios of the opposite

Outcome most likely would have been the same
Car starts to roll guy chases it trying to stop it
Woman hits gas instead of brake
Etc

More than a few kids playing in a garage have been backed over
But the same could happen in a driveway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD, 1998 MB ML320
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
I've been doing a business at high-end property where older lady pulled up steep driveway into the garage.
Later on she backed out the garage and in front of it put the car on P.
The weight of the car locked the transmission latch and the lady could not put it in R nor D. Other household member come over to help her, lean in open door and push the lever. The car jumped down the driveway onto the cross street with the guy still leaning in the door.
The result:
One death, one badly hurt.
Slim chance that would happen would they backed up the garage.
Nonononono......I have nightmares about that happening. I have done as she did, but at least I hit the parking brakes....but I still envision worst case scenario when I park on steep inclines.

Even with wheels turned toward the curb, parking brakes engaged, transmission in P and a choke on front and rear wheels, in my mind's eye I still see the car flying out and killing someone (usually me).

Maybe I'm just paranoid.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 11:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 1995 SL500, 1993 500SL, 1986 325ES (sold), 1968 Tempest Custom (to be rebuild)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Cool

So I do have this black designated parts car I put money into. And it has that dreaded reverse-gear-missing-and-leaking-if-you-try-to-use-it problem. Else transmission works fine and is not leaking at all.

Lucky as I am, I live on a hill. So I drive up the driveway, put it in neutral and just roll downhill into the parking spot next to the beautiful red one.

I usually anyways prefer to park so that I can just drive away forward, not needing to back out somewhere. It's just a habit. Say - if you would rob banks for a living, you may get used to do this also. Just a habit.

But with the black 1993 500SL 'potential parts car' there it is not a habit but a must. No reverse gear. Forgetting that I am in the black one and not the red one hurts.

It is not easy to push 4.400 pounds out of a parking lot, because you just forgot the missing reverse.

But I need to drive both of them. What good is a parts car if it does not run? How do you know the parts are still OK? So I am fixing my parts car, just in case the nice one breaks down and need any parts. Buying new parts to 'store' in the parts car. Do I still make any sense here?

Today I got the black one running again. New Crank Shaft Position Sensor did it. She is running again!

Now I have to get her to @MAVA to fix the transmission. A decent parts car needs a working transmission. Just in case the transmission in the nice car breaks down, right?

Enjoy!

Mike
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 09:34 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
Location: Sacramento, California & El Dorado Hills, California, USA
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike,

It is kind of you to mention me.

These cars are only have value to you, and you have two of them! Paying for California Registration, Insurance, and maintenance has some value to you.

Fixing reverse is nearly like rebuilding the whole thing, but just to fix reverse is silly as you want to change the rear engine seal. Torque converter seal too. Depending on the miles a rebuild is suggested.

Here is the process for the 722.3 through 722.5 transmission. It is just this little seal in picture 7 on the inside.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...mp-rebuid.html

Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in