BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Xentry Troubleshoot

Hello I am having some trouble with a Xentry system but first some background,

----Skip this part if you don't care about the details----
Im a tech at a computer tech support company but my boss is a Mercedes owner and as a courtesy provides tech support to his local repair shop. However both tech's who knew anything about Xentry quit and now we have a support ticket to go and troubleshoot a problem with the system. I have been chosen for the task but I don't know anything at all about it, or anything like it. So bare with me, this could be difficult.
----Okay on to the problem----

Okay so the problem is that there's the touch screen/pc device and a smaller brick like handheld device, once you try to connect them by launching from the desktop icon the PC device loses all network connectivity and the connection to the device fails.

From what I was able to gather from the shop owner was that 6 months ago Comcast replaced their modem with a router, but they already have a Netgear router. They claim it was working since then, Looking at their network configuration their Default Gateway leads me back to the Comcast device. They insist it should be connected to the net-gear. My suspicion for what its worth is that Comcast probably turned routing off on the Netgear and their device is now doing wireless and routing. I can't tell though because all the networks were renamed and all devices have been locked and no one in the store knows any passwords or accounts to log into either router. So hopefully this can be solved by configuration on the device.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 10:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Sounds like an official MB workshop tool with on-line access. Most likely the tablet computer is connected to the workshop WLAN network and the diagnosis multiplexer (SDconnect?) should be connected to the same WLAN network (and should have the infrastructure mode activated, the other option is a direct device-to-device WLAN connection between the tablet computer and the mux).

Both the table computer and the mux have been configured to the workshop network obviously (I know you know these things and you know them much better than I do). If the workshop network has been reconfigured (SSID changed and encryption changed) the laptop and the mux obviously cannot get connected.

Depending on the tools the network actually should use some pretty old encryption, WEP keys would work, not sure if anything more complicated.

If the new WLAN network is configured for WEP key (or something that both the mux and the tablet computer support), you could configure both diagnosis devices to match the new network settings. This would be done from SDNC at the tablet, the mux needs to be connected with the green cable when it is configured. The tablet LAN port needs to have a specific fixed IP address before it can be reached for configuration.

The tablet needs internet access via the workshop network but that would be straightforward for you.

Did you mean that both the new WLAN access points and the old were locked and you cannot read any of the settings, not even encryption? I cannot imagine how that could be the case, sure they have to be able to connect with ordinary laptops?

The old WLAN settings you can find from SDNC if you just enter configuration but do not change anything.

Edited: can you identify the tool from the attached figure, this would be an Xentry Tab computer and an Xentry Connect mux. The older SDconnect mux and the Compact4 tablet computer figure added too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xentry tab XentryConnect.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1291553  
Attached Images

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 01-21-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: