can replacing 13 pin connector on cause 722.6 gearbox to go into limp mode - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 05:00 AM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I am sorry about the misunderstanding.

Personally having changed a few dozen of these pilot bushings(13 pin connectors) I have never had one go into limp mode. I honestly did not believe it could happen until you posted your experience and I still can not tell you how it happened.

They did not reprogram any computer on the vehicle. The just cleared faults from two control units that store fault codes.

As far as the £100 charge for a Merc it does not seem out of line. Here in the US most dealers will not even hook up the MB SDS to clear or read codes for less than about £85. Seeing as prices on most things car related are higher in Europe the £100 did not shock me. I do hate that you had to pay it.

I was raised in the UK in Surrey in a part of Weybridge known as St George's Hill. It has been over 30 years since I was moved back to the states, but I remember quite well how expensive things were even back in the very early 80s. There is no way I could afford to live there now and keep my current lifestyle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2015
Vehicle: sprinter motorhome based on 416 twin wheel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to starline Send a message via Skype™ to starline
(Thread Starter)
Thanks to Noodles for your latest post. Can you just tell me, for future reference, whether you disconnected the battery before removing the 13 pin plug when changing the Pilot Bushing.

Regards costing for clearing faults. I have just been informed by Mercedes Benz Main Dealers it would take about 1/2 hr, and as they charge £75 hr it would definitely cost less than £50.
I think the local garage saw me coming!! when I was vulnerable.
Still Hopefully all will be well from now on.

You say you have been in USA last 30 plus years. Have you ever re visited this side of the pond in that time?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 11:30 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I do not disconnect the battery for changing them.

I have visited back to England on holiday every 3-5 years. I do miss it a lot. I love showing my wife and daughter a variety things like Oxford Street during the Christmas season and the amazing white cliffs of Dover plus so much more. Next trip is to Scotland for about 9 days next year.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 11:48 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 2002 E430 4Matic & 1999 E320 (w210)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
The only way to know if there is a fault code stored with the ETC is to have the vehicle scanned with a scan tool that can read the transmission codes.
The faults will have to be cleared in both the TCM (transmission control module) and the ECU.
THANK YOU! After suddenly being stuck in limp mode, I discovered the known issue of AT fluid wicking to the TCM. I replaced the leaky connection on my transmission, cleaned all connectors and thoroughly cleaned the TCM itself.

I've been desperately searching for some way to clear these codes myself as my nearest Indy is 45 miles away (dealer is over 100mi!) or even sourcing a TCM to swap and test, but learning it's stored in two places helps me learn there is likely no way around this.

If you were me, in the southern USA, and wanted to buy a tool to reset this problem, what system could you recommend that would be most economical? And is a model that connects to the OBD II port capable of doing this, or must it be a model that connects to the MB-1 38-pin connector in the engine compartment fuse box?

Anyone--any help you could offer would be GREATLY appreciated. It's Saturday, and if I can't figure out a tool to buy, I'll be forced to schedule a tow on Monday. :-(
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 03:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: cash corn belt
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deplore View Post
As to your original question: if you disconnect battery and replace the 13 pin transmission plug and then reconnect battery, it won't make the car go into limp home mode.

The auxilliary is connected and the Main battery disconnected is what I took from this.

I have always taken the negative post cable from the battery first this will not set errors ?
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 10:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Unfortunately Lord you will not go far without advanced scanner, but hopefully you resolved it by now?
But lately we do have recommendations for scanners that dropped the prices below $300 and with next sign of a trouble, one of those would be my priority. Could not get firm confirmation it will work with MB transmission, but hopefully it will. Takes $10 plug for MB.
I did about dozen of pilot bushings and NEVER disconnected the battery.
In OP case I would suspect that not properly cleaned plug shorted connections while reinserting. Pilot bushing itself has nothing to do with electronic connections.
Coming to prices in Europe, you can have car scanned and codes cleared in Poland for less than $20. In CA few years back independent transmission shop wanted $150 just for scanning.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 03-22-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in