post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1989 560SL; 2014 E350; 1960 190SL-sold; 1996 280C-sold
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Short-term(?) Smart Key Battery Life

I'm curious about a trivial matter on my 2014 E350, but Iím guessing this would apply to any recent year model so Iím asking my question here.

The car is just one year old this month and has about 11,000 miles. Just after Jan 1, I started getting a dash message that the battery in the Smart Key needs replacement, and I get the same message no matter which key fob I have with me. Itís not a problem to get new batteries, and I found some instructions on how to replace them.

What I am wondering, however, is whether itís typical to have the batteries run out this quickly, and I find it curious that they both are running out at exactly the same time, even though I keep one in my pocket and the wife keeps the other in her purse as a backup.

There is some indication on the net that Keyless Go can shorten the life of batteries, but itís never been a problem in other cars weíve had with Keyless Go. In fact, in other current and previous vehicles with Smart Keys and Keyless Go, the battery message on the dash didnít appear for 3-4 years or longer.

I canít find any information on MBUSA, and thereís little info elsewhere on the net except for buying replacement batteries &/or instructions on battery replacement.

Can anyone suggest whether this just a fluke for this set of batteries in this car, or should I expect to have to change these yearly, and have other owners experienced this kind of short term battery life with M-B Smart Keys?

When out on the road, it's always best to watch out for Pot holes, Sink holes, and those other Holes!

Robert AKA: EEEEZY
You can't get us confused. I'm also "Nice", but NYYYCE is NEVER "Easy"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 07:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
I don't have keyless go, but we sold 13 years old ML320 with factory batteries in remotes.
Present wife car is 8 years with the family and still the same batteries it come with and they were not new.
New technology take often more current, but I would definitely call MBUSA and ask for explanation when manual is no help.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
After getting a response from Kajtek1 only (thanks for your thoughts) on what is truly such a trivial matter, I contacted one of the local dealers for their thoughts.

I spoke to the service dept who conferred with the parts dept, and the consensus from them all is that the batteries usually only last one year without Keyless Go, and about 6 months if you have Keyless Go.

They suggested that since I have Keyless Go I did well, and they went on to tell me that I should feel extremely fortunate as all the rest of my vehicles had batteries that lasted for several years. Go figure!

Guess I'll need a good supply of batteries.

When out on the road, it's always best to watch out for Pot holes, Sink holes, and those other Holes!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 09:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Dealers also will tell you that adding 10 liters of motor oil between changes is acceptable, but it is hardly normal.
Keyless go as far as I know is not using battery power, so IMHO there is something wrong going with your remote. Are you sure you don't have pressed button in your pocket?
I have it quite often that having key in my pocket and bending down for tire check, the lock activate. Can only wonder how many times the remote get pushed without me noticing.
I think getting small box and putting the key in it before dropping into pocket might be good idea.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Keyless go as far as I know is not using battery power, so IMHO there is something wrong going with your remote. Are you sure you don't have pressed button in your pocket?
I have it quite often that having key in my pocket and bending down for tire check, the lock activate. Can only wonder how many times the remote get pushed without me noticing.
I think getting small box and putting the key in it before dropping into pocket might be good idea.
That's entirely possible! I have had incidents where I have heard unexplained "beeps", or "clicking sounds" like the doors are being unlocked and locked again when there's no reason that I've figured out why that should be occurring.

I don't know about putting the key in a box as I already have the Lexus Smart Key and the cell in the same pocket, but I could probably slide in into a small pouch I carry my change in which is in the other pocket with some additional junk i.e.: mints, pills, nail clipper, pen knife, etc.
Geeze...sounds like I need a man purse!

As far as the dealer explanation, it sounded like crap to me too, but I did find some chatter on other forums which indicate that Keyless Go could be a factor even though it's never been a factor in any of our other cars with KG.

Either way, I'm looking for a supply (package of 10 or more) of reliable batteries to have available just in case.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 07:45 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Getting about two years for both keys with an E500 that has keyless go.

Up to three years on the W163 ML remotes.

All of the vehicles listed are used daily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in