post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Dec 2014
Vehicle: 1994 E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First Car help

Hello i am getting my first car and i need a bit of help.

I am looking for a Mercedes that is cheap and reliable, also i am a new mechanic in training, so something easy to fix.

I really wanted a 190e 2.3 16V cosworth, but those are hard to find.

im open to any ideas.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Their are other small quick ones.
The AMG C32, C36 and C43 are all a blast to drive, but they are not manual transmission cars.
Several times a year a well kept 2.3 16v comes up for sale so if you are not in a hurry you could very well find one.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Dec 2014
Vehicle: 1994 E320
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
There is a nice one near by but he wants 10,000 for it, but I did see a lovely 1996 AMG c36
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 09:21 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2000 E430 4matic
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
As I looked around for used Mercedes, I found that two types generally dominate the market. One is a Mercedes that was owned by someone who likes Mercedes Benz vehicles and takes good care of them. This is generally your older owners. They may have high miles, but they were well cared for, with only proper replacement parts being used, and most likely garage kept. My 2000 E430 belonged to an older doctor, and his wife. In 15 years, they racked up 126,000 miles. If something squeaked or didn't work, they took it to the dealer and said "fix it". They didn't hack up the interior to fit wrong size alpine stereo speakers. They didn't cut up the wiring harness to install an amp and subwoofer. These are the cars you want to buy.

The other type you see a lot of are the cars bought often by a younger buyer, who don't know or care about the brand of car. They just wanted a cheap car that looks expensive. Unaware of the maintenance needs of their Mercedes, they drive the heck out of it, beat the heck out of it, often fit tacky after market crap from Walmart then try to sell it when there's a problem and they find out the price of good parts. You'll see Jensen head units mounted with electrical taped wiring. Missing jack covers and tow hook covers, badly curb rashed wheels. This is the car to avoid buying.

Sometimes it hard to tell which is which if a seller is clever. I have a guideline I follow, it's probably not fool proof, but it's worked well for me so far. Look at the tires. A careful owner, who truly cares about the ride quality of their car will usually have good quality tires mounted, and they'll have tread. An owner who just needs to keep the car running as cheaply as possible will often be using the cheapest tires available at Pep Boys and run them (without rotating) until cords are showing. Run from this car!
PLeeson likes this.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: