Freshly back in the German auto club - 05 C230 Kompressor 1.8L - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Freshly back in the German auto club - 05 C230 Kompressor 1.8L

Hello everyone,

I am very excited to say I now own a Benz. I purchased today what seems to be a bone stock 2005 C230 1.8L Kompressor 4-cylinder with 112,000 miles. I got a great deal on it at $5,500 as the overall car is 9.5/10 as far as I can tell. The cluster says 4100 miles service overdue or something along those lines so I'll be changing the oil tomorrow (Sunday).

I live in Arizona so any tips on extending the life of the supercharged engine out here in this heat would be greatly appreciated!! I'm thinking about removing the black insulating material attached to the hood underneath for starters to help it keep cooler. I wouldn't mind a little extra engine noise. I purchased some of the new Natural Gas 10W-30 Pennzoil Full-synthetic to put into the oil change. I grabbed a FRAM filter but its not the right size so I'll probably go back and get a Bosch or Mobil1. I'm open to suggestions for oil and filters though.

The car was sitting for the last year so I put a little SeaFoam in the gas. It also seems to need an AC freon recharge (hopefully that's all). They said it was blowing cold before it started sitting. Right now it's blowing hot and the compressor seems to be working (I don't hear any noises and the engine reacts to the added demand when I push the button).

What other service should I give the car at this mileage? For some of the more complicated tasks I would be willing to pay someone near Mesa, AZ who is competent and qualified for help and hands-on education.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 06:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mercedes Benz of Florida
I had a C230 Kompressor and it was a wonderful car. Super great gas mileage.
Change out the Fuel Filter, easy to change out
New Spark Plugs? Pull and Inspect or simply replace for peace of mind.
Maybe New Spark Plug Wires. Inspect.
Cabin Air Filter, passenger side, footwell, pull the panel down and it's in there. Easy 2 minute job
Air Filter for Engine. Easy fix.
Go to Autohausaz and order a New Oil Bolt and four or five copper washers.
A Fleece Oil Filter is better than those horrid Fram Filters. When you put them side by side
you yourself will not go back to cheap alternatives.
Stay Full Synthetic Oil.
Be highly cautious of the Anti Freeze you put in. MB's are sensitive like that.

You are so going to love that car. I did with mine. Upgraded to an S500. :-)

Charles
New York City, NY
Richmond County

United States of America
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 10:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids: Engine Oil, Gear Oil, ATF, Coolant, Brakefluid
Get yourself familiar with this page and I double and triple advice on MB coolant.
Even Zerex G5 is approved coolant, lot of members using it are coming to the forum with overheating problems.
I use MB coolant even in my Ford trucks and they run with no need for engine fan, even when towing.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2014
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids: Engine Oil, Gear Oil, ATF, Coolant, Brakefluid
Get yourself familiar with this page and I double and triple advice on MB coolant.
Even Zerex G5 is approved coolant, lot of members using it are coming to the forum with overheating problems.
I use MB coolant even in my Ford trucks and they run with no need for engine fan, even when towing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz of Florida View Post
I had a C230 Kompressor and it was a wonderful car. Super great gas mileage.
Change out the Fuel Filter, easy to change out
New Spark Plugs? Pull and Inspect or simply replace for peace of mind.
Maybe New Spark Plug Wires. Inspect.
Cabin Air Filter, passenger side, footwell, pull the panel down and it's in there. Easy 2 minute job
Air Filter for Engine. Easy fix.
Go to Autohausaz and order a New Oil Bolt and four or five copper washers.
A Fleece Oil Filter is better than those horrid Fram Filters. When you put them side by side
you yourself will not go back to cheap alternatives.
Stay Full Synthetic Oil.
Be highly cautious of the Anti Freeze you put in. MB's are sensitive like that.

You are so going to love that car. I did with mine. Upgraded to an S500. :-)
Wow that is impressive antifreeze!! That page you shared has a whole lot of information. I'm having trouble making use of it. Same with the owners manual.

Well the car was given some long due TLC yesterday. I ran around town trying to find good filters and oil. Autozone and Nappa were giving me different ratings for oil. I tried to get in contact with a dealership but they were closed today. So I ended up trusting Napa and I used 5L of Liqui Moly 5W-30 with their Napa gold filter which is supposedly made by Wix or something which is European. The oil was BLACK. Couldn't get an exact number for amount of oil it takes but the car says "oil level OK". But I spoke with the dealer today and I'm going to try and drain the oil and instead use mobile 5W-40 5.8 quarts that they recommended fulsome that

Thank you for the suggestion for Fleece I will try and find that online and have it ready prior to my next oil change. There seems to be a few autohausaz results near me or variations of it and no ratings to go off of for either one so I wasn't sure which to go to.

Napa also recommended Pentofrost NF antifreeze so I bought the 1.5L they sell but I haven't put it in yet because you've cautioned against just using whatever. I would have bought the MB coolant if it was open yesterday...

I replaced the cabin air filter, if there's only one mine was on the passenger side above the battery and not in the footwell. STP filter $28.

Replaced the grimy air filter and vacuumed the housing. New Napa gold air filter.

My compressor seems to be working because both moving parts are in motion but after one can of freon with leak sealer and uv leak detector it's still not blowing cold. It was seeming to have trouble getting vacuumed into the system so I don't know what's going on with the compressor. I'm seeing my mechanic tomorrow to use his lift so I can get the splash guards protecting the oil pans on easier so I'll ask him for help with the ac while I'm there.

Minor items: I'm also having trouble getting the back window sun shield to come down. The motor seems to work because it pulls it up after I manually push it down slightly. Is it all controlled from that one button on the dash?
My key FOB remote is dead. I tried changing the batteries and cleaning the dust out of the inside and still no luck. So I can't lock my car for now without using the emergency key. Any tips? 2025 batteries right?

All in all thank you very much for your time, help, and advice with all this!!! I am absolutely loving the car.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 03:13 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle: 1999 CLK 320, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benz-az View Post

Thank you for the suggestion for Fleece I will try and find that online and have it ready prior to my next oil change. There seems to be a few autohausaz results near me or variations of it and no ratings to go off of for either one so I wasn't sure which to go to.

Don't waste your time looking for a fleece oil filter for a 2005 C230K. They haven't been available for over 5+ years. Go with Mahle (OEM) or Hengest. I would stay away from Mann. Their quality has really gone down hill (thinner & less pleats and NO inner support).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 06:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Well said.

Charles
New York City, NY
Richmond County

United States of America
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 06:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz-az View Post
Wow that is impressive antifreeze!! That page you shared has a whole lot of information. I'm having trouble making use of it. Same with the owners manual.

Well the car was given some long due TLC yesterday. I ran around town trying to find good filters and oil. Autozone and Nappa were giving me different ratings for oil. I tried to get in contact with a dealership but they were closed today. So I ended up trusting Napa and I used 5L of Liqui Moly 5W-30 with their Napa gold filter which is supposedly made by Wix or something which is European. The oil was BLACK. Couldn't get an exact number for amount of oil it takes but the car says "oil level OK". But I spoke with the dealer today and I'm going to try and drain the oil and instead use mobile 5W-40 5.8 quarts that they recommended fulsome that

Napa also recommended Pentofrost NF antifreeze so I bought the 1.5L they sell but I haven't put it in yet because you've cautioned against just using whatever. I would have bought the MB coolant if it was open yesterday...

I replaced the cabin air filter, if there's only one mine was on the passenger side above the battery and not in the footwell. STP filter $28.

Replaced the grimy air filter and vacuumed the housing. New Napa gold air filter.

My compressor seems to be working because both moving parts are in motion but after one can of freon with leak sealer and uv leak detector it's still not blowing cold. It was seeming to have trouble getting vacuumed into the system so I don't know what's going on with the compressor. I'm seeing my mechanic tomorrow to use his lift so I can get the splash guards protecting the oil pans on easier so I'll ask him for help with the ac while I'm there.

Minor items: I'm also having trouble getting the back window sun shield to come down. The motor seems to work because it pulls it up after I manually push it down slightly. Is it all controlled from that one button on the dash?
My key FOB remote is dead. I tried changing the batteries and cleaning the dust out of the inside and still no luck. So I can't lock my car for now without using the emergency key. Any tips? 2025 batteries right?

All in all thank you very much for your time, help, and advice with all this!!! I am absolutely loving the car.
Hmm CR 2025 Battery sounds right. But I am not 100% sure.
Ensure you placed the Battery's in correctly.
Sometimes, getting it out, installing the Battery's correctly can be
a bear! It's not hard, just a bloody pain.
Good Luck!
Sounds like your on the right track.
Go for the expensive Factory OEM Antifreeze.

Charles
New York City, NY
Richmond County

United States of America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in