post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2014
Vehicle: 2012 C250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
USB and SD media card show weird files

I own a 2012 C class 250, with command and nav, when using the USB or SD media card interface I see a bunch of entries that seem to be a ghost of the actual MP3, for example if a certain music file is called: "03 Money-Pink Floyd.mp3" I'll see an entry called ".03 Money-Pink Floyd.mp3" or "._03 Money-Pink Floyd.mp3", this have happened with every single MP3 I copied onto either the stick (USB) or the card (SD media), when selected, these files won't playback command will simply skip to the next one up until it finds a playable mp3. this is not a big deal, except for when I want to play an specific song, it forces me to scroll past the "Ghosts" files all the way to the "real" MP3 and because this happens to every song I basically have to scroll past all the ghosts, Sometimes I can attempt to play any ghost and it would get skipped and so will the next one, until it reaches the first entry that is not a ghost, but if the folder contains too many files, It will stop halfway through the scan and display the message "not payable files found", but if I scroll within the folder until I reach the "real" MP3, then it plays. How can I fix this. By the way I used apple computers to copy the MP3 file to either the stick or the card. Have anyone faced this situation before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 12:27 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Are you on a Mac or a Windows machine?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
I'm on a Mac computer.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 02:13 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
What you are seeing are artifacts from the way the Mac file system works. On most computers they are invisible files, but the show up on my camera SD cards as well as shared folders when running Windows on my Mac using VMware Fusion.
It is nothing to worry about as long as the songs are playing you want them to.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Yes in fact I know that to be the case, the trouble with this is that every single music file, creates an "artifact" or "ghost" as I've been calling them, this in turn adds entries to the "track list" which prevents smooth random track playback, because every single time a ghost track is randomly selected it will skip it, and then it tries the next one, skipping again if it is a ghost track, until either it finally reaches the first real track, which will get played; or if enough ghost tracks are tried it will simple display "no playable files".

Another problem with this is that it also forces me to scroll down the list to the end of ghosts tracks, this is an unwelcome distraction, not good when driving.

But I am happy to report that after researching this I finally found a Mac friendly solution. It implies firing up the terminal app. This app is an application that allows the user to "get under the hood" of your Mac's finder, to write Unix commands. ONE HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN USING TERMINAL, a mistake could impair your computer forcing you to consult a professional, but as long as you are careful you can fix this problem.

I recommend you read these instructions completely before you try it.

1) format you USB stick or SD media card, I recommend using ExFAT instead of MS-DOS (FAT), I found the media to be read faster when formatted ExFAT.

I recommend that you don't use spaces when naming your USB stick or your SD media card, use underscore "_" instead of spaces.

2) copy your MP3 into your USB stick (everything done to a USB stick applies to SD media cards)

3) in the finder open the application folder, find in it the Utilities folder and open it. You also could do this by pressing "Shift" "Command" and "U" together, this will open the Utilities folder directly.

4) Find the Terminal app and open it.
a Window will open, in it you will see a command line, you need to enter a command that will tell your computer to find all the files in your USB stick with a filename that starts with "._", and then directs it to delete them.

This is the command you need to copy and paste in your terminal window:

find /volumes/<your_USB_stick_name> -name '._*' -type f -delete

after you copy this into your terminal window, you will replace <your_USB_stick_name> with the name you assigned to your USB stick, if you choose a name with spaces the command won't function correctly, so please fix that before type anything in the terminal.

for example I named my USB Stick "Big_Benz" consequently when I typed the command it looked like this "find /volumes/Big_Benz -name '._*' -type f -delete", notice the "<" or ">" are not in my command. Both "<" and ">" were there only to highlight the text to be replaced, THEY ARE NOT A PART OF THE COMMAND.

If you leave out "-delete" which is at the very end of the command, the terminal will display a list with all the junk files (The ones I've been calling ghosts) located in your USB stick.

I recommend you do this before you go all the way, so you can be sure you typed everything correctly, because at this point, nothing nefarious will happen, all that this do, is tell you what files will be erase when you retype the command including "-delete" and the end of it.

Look at this list so you can be sure that you deleting only those pesky ghost files, if you see something that doesn't look like those pesky ghosts you can see in your car. Make sure you are typing correctly the name of your USB stick, only when you get to see those files, is when I recommend you ahead and type the command:

find /volumes/<your_USB_stick_name> -name '._*' -type f -delete

Now all those annoying files should be gone, you can type the command again without the "-delete" to make sure there are not ghosts left behind.

5) type exit in the terminal window, and then quit the application.

6) eject your USB stick, get in your car, put in the USB stick and enjoy your music.

Nick.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 11:47 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Using Terminal with Unix commands is a good workaround. I always have Windows running in the background so I just assign a USB post to VMware and then delete Mac artifact files from Windows.

I do agree about ExFat and the naming files with no spaces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in