post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2014
Vehicle: 2002 ML500, 2000 ML430, 2000 E320 4MATIC, 2007 GL450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Teens Driving Mercedes'..?

I am 16 and own an 02 ML500. I live in a town that there arent too many luxury cars of any brand. I try to avoid talking about my car because i dont want to seem like im bragging. People ask me about my car quite often, and some done even believe i own a Benz. I have gotten to the point where im going to start saying "No, i drive a Ford".

The part that really bothers me about all this is that to most people all Mercedes is is a expensive car brand that most adults can't afford nevertheless a 16 year old. Most people don't know about all the things you can get for not so much money; power, performance, safety, reliability, and luxury. AND on top of all that i probably paid less for my car than they paid for theirs.

I drive a Mercedes for its quality NOT for its prestige. I also know how to work on them.

Are there any other teens that have experienced something similar?
Or any advice or comments from anyone?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Thank God it is the truth.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:23 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: E430 w/Sport Package, Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Hey! I am 19 now and I got my 01 E430 sport when I was 18 as a birthday gift from my parents! Yes I do have family members and friends at college talking to me about my car and all that, and some are like, at this age i am suppose to drive a POS car and I am spoiled. Yes these cars come super cheap these days and I love working on them too, with used toyota price guys like us can get a Benz and drive quality around town. They are also easy to work on if one knows what they are doing. I try not to brag about it too to friends, but they are the ones telling me, "Hey you are so lucky to drive such as luxurious car at such young age." It does make me happy.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
We picked up a 2000 ML320 for my youngest daughter several weeks ago. We live rurally and to the the uninformed auto owner in these parts they have no idea what a bargain it was to put my daughter in a practical and extremely safe vehicle that does not cost much to keep on the road.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 06:18 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think it'd be terrific if all teens could drive a Mercedes because the company's standards are so much higher than typical legislative regulation of motor vehicle safety standards in most nations. They are quite simply far safer, better equipped and qualitively merited vehicles than most major international makes and models, you have to go full tilt prestige at top dollar to get better than an entry level budget Mercedes.

Now that's not going to reduce accident rates, but what it does is reduces accident fatalities and serious injury. On the flipside it does make an accident more expensive and sparks a political debate over whether repairers have the right to lower the build quality during repairs under instruction from insurance companies because cars like Mercedes still pass government safety regulations if you replace everything with Taiwanese reproduction parts like cheap steel panels, but it ruins the quality of the car.

So it's all this other business about owning high quality merchandise when you're young that can be difficult to understand until you've been around the block a few times, there is responsibility to having nice things. What is it the Eagles said, call a place paradise then everyone goes there and it's no longer paradise? With so many kids having accidents then so many insurance companies and repairers trying to profiteer on the fact Mercs have much higher standards than the law says they need to, means eventually they'll lose their prestige as virtually all the used Mercs out there wind up with Ford parts top to bottom. With exclusivity comes preservation. There is that angle. Older dudes who own a Merc tend to be quite accustomed to making an argument and getting lawyers involved if anyone touches their car with a substandard part replacement. Most kids wouldn't even know what one looked like, let alone how to argue with an insurance company's legal department determined to install it.

But other than that my issue isn't with young drivers, I was one once. It's things like SUVs substituting sedans these days in built up suburban areas, they're just dangerous. As mentioned you can't actually reduce accident rates with safer cars because it's the driving that crashes them. And with an SUV the occupants might have increased survivability, but occupants of the other vehicle, or a pedestrian hit, has reduced survivability and that's just wrong. Big AWDs are meant for rural areas where you might be using unsealed roads and such, not driving the kids to school in the 'burbs, they're death machines to do that with. Stuff like that annoys me.

People have car accidents, can't change that.

driving a fast car should feel like falling off a building.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: