post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: W204 C320CDI 2009 and W639 Vito 115CDI 2006
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SCN Coding by Independents or DIY

My understanding is that MB have locked their system down so much that it's damn near impossible to fit a new electric component yourself. You used to be able to transfer the coding from the old component to the new but I think that can't be done anymore.

For example if I purchased a brand new COMAND control unit from the dealer for $800 they would still have to go online to MB in Germany to code the raw control unit. Am I correct with this?

So even if I took the COMAND unit home and installed it myself it would not work until I took the car back to the dealers for them to do the coding and charge me about $200 for the privilege.

If this is the case it's anti competitive behaviour and forcing you to use one supplier. I'm sure it's against our commerce laws.

It would be no different to having a combination lock on the sump plug that prevented you draining the oil. The dealer network would be forcing you to take the car to them to have the sump plug unlocked.

If someone could enlighten me it would be appreciated. I'd like to take MB on through the "Australian Competition and Consumer Commission"

I'm riding for you #52, my dear son Cameron 1985-2009

2009 W204 C320CDI C Class sedan with Quaife LSD
2006 W639 115CDI Vito LWB Van for hauling motorcycles
2008 W164 ML320CDI Edition 10 (daughter's but I look after it)
2011 VW Polo 6R Hatch
2008 Honda CBR600RR race/track motorcycle
2010 Suzuki GSXR750 race/track motorcycle
2011 KTM 530 EXC Enduro motorcycle

Last edited by Scott52; 07-23-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 03:49 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
My finding from SCN components is that they are ordered from the factory to match the VIN number for your car. My last purchase was a door ECU ordered from my VIN. It came and I plugged it in and it all worked fine, but if I put the car on STAR and do a scan it cannot find that door ECU, it just passes over it as though it is not there.

SCN coding can only be done with an online STAR

Malcolm

"I thought my vasectomy would keep my wife from getting pregnant but apparently it just changes the color of the baby."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:40 AM

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: 2006 S 500
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by television View Post

SCN coding can only be done with an online STAR
Very true. However, dealers are not the only ones with on-line STAR. Anyone who has paid the ransom that MB wants for a STAR account can legally perform SCN coding. It may be worth checking around for a reputable independent MB repair shop and ask if they can do this.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Fed View Post
Very true. However, dealers are not the only ones with on-line STAR. Anyone who has paid the ransom that MB wants for a STAR account can legally perform SCN coding. It may be worth checking around for a reputable independent MB repair shop and ask if they can do this.
So it's in reality out of reach for an owner or a smaller independent to do as the cost of an online account is prohibitive? Even though they have the expertise to replace a door ECU for example?

Yes I will call a couple of the bigger independent MB repairers and see what they can do.

2011 VW Polo 6R Hatch
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 08:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
This very much depends on the car age. A W204 from 2009 can be handled by a relatively fresh copy of DAS and most likely any version coding that would be needed, can be done off-line (some version coding even under non-developer menus, I'm not referring to off-line SCN coding but simply manual coding of each setting).

I cannot comment how this works in different countries but in Europe parts are generic on the shelf. The parts supply organization has no tools to code the parts before delivery. Any part that needs version coding is installed to the car first and then SCN-coded. If the part is invisible for the diagnosis tool, something is really wrong. Could be an old SW release at the diag tool. Would be interesting to know more about such behaviour.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
SCN coding is something new and mainly applies to the newer models, I think it was another move to kep owners in the MB network.

This also depends on the stock held by mercedes, or if say they have 100 ECU's in stock of a particular type, they will get sent out first, and the new stock will be coded for the car, and require further SCN coding once fitted.

Very clever though as when it is not SCN coded it all works perfectly but just not there in STAR, it does not say anything about it, it ignores that part and no way into it.

Malcolm

"I thought my vasectomy would keep my wife from getting pregnant but apparently it just changes the color of the baby."
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by television View Post
SCN coding is something new and mainly applies to the newer models, I think it was another move to kep owners in the MB network.

This also depends on the stock held by mercedes, or if say they have 100 ECU's in stock of a particular type, they will get sent out first, and the new stock will be coded for the car, and require further SCN coding once fitted.

Very clever though as when it is not SCN coded it all works perfectly but just not there in STAR, it does not say anything about it, it ignores that part and no way into it.
Yes keeping owners in the MB network is form of entrapment that I can't accept. I have DAS with developer and I can work with my 2008 manufactured W204 and my 2006 manufactured W639.

My problem is with the new online SCN coding I'm not feeling comfortable staying with Mercedes vehicles when the time comes to get another. I was thinking about getting a W205 in early 2016 but if I can't do things myself with a copy of Xentry/DAS with developer then I'm reluctant to stay with the brand.

I have the skills to change out a door ECU or rear SAM for example but if forced to have to go to the dealer that's not right. Here the minimum charge just for them to plug the car into DAS/Xentry is $200.

2011 VW Polo 6R Hatch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in